ADVERTISEMENT

Sunday Walkabout

Devil Dust

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2006
Mornin Mates...

Today's Topic = As The Crow Flies

Here is the top question directed at Jon Wilner in today's PAC-12 Hotline Mailbag...

"While former commissioner Larry Scott was either totally incompetent or a shrewd grifter, when are the PAC presidents going to be held accountable for a lack of oversight that has put (PAC) athletic departments into a financial swamp that continues to get deeper..??"

Wilner responds by saying that "if the conference were a publicly traded company, a shareholder revolt would be in order"...

"Unfortunately, there is no recourse for PAC fans, athletic dept members and schools athletes," concludes Wilner...

He goes on to say that many presidents have done well for their schools, that is their primary mission, even though they have failed their athletic depts...

"Michael Crow, for instance, has elevated the school's academic profile beyond what was thought possible but Crow also hired Scott, enabled Scott, and rewarded Scott through all the years of self-inflicted errors"...

(And, now, IMHO, he's also doing the same for Ray Anderson)...

Wilner says finally that "Crow's the perfect example of a president doing well for his campus and poorly for his athletic dept"...

It's a "textbook example (speaking of Crow and his other PAC brass brethren) of mismanagement, right up to the point where board members are ousted by enraged shareholders"...

"But in this case, accountability for the presidents does not exist"...

I, for one, like the way Wilner takes a straight line to the heart of the matter just as the Crow flies (pun intended)...;)

Does anyone here disagree with Wilner's analysis..??

On another note, thankfully, for us Sun Devil fans, the Ducks found a way to beat the Cats last night to win the PAC baseball tournament...

And, as a result, both teams will be making a case for why they should be in the NCAA playoffs and I guess we'll see what the committee thinks tomorrow when the regional playoffs are announced...

It's pretty amazing that the #6 and #8 seeded teams played for the championship and, relatedly, whether that is a good thing for the conference that went to a different tournament format this year...

In any event, I think Willie and his staff did a pretty good job this year of moving the baseball program forward and I'm expecting bigger and better things from the team next year...

It would be a major disappointment if they won less than 30 games next season and didn't have a PAC winning record that led to a surefire playoff selection...

It's still incredible to me that Tracy Smith was still coaching after having back to back losing seasons in both his third and fourth seasons at ASU...

But, that's Ray Anderson for you, who apparently aspires to athletic mediocrity more than just about anything else at ASU, except his outrageous pay as our AD, IMHO...

And, that's the way Crow apparently likes things, too, by just doing enough to get by with, when talking about the Big Three sports, especially...

It's as the Crow Flies as we all know, right..??

Well, fingers crossed that we don't get bumped from the baseball tournament, especially by another team like the Cats...

Have a good Memorial Day tomorrow and remember those that have served our country in the military over the years...

G'day Mates and Go Devils!!!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News