ADVERTISEMENT

25 played on defense!

lived1

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2007
I have posted about this approx 5 times already and am sorry about that

buuuuut I just can't get over it

WE PLAYED TWENTY FIVE (25!!!!) players on defense against the 15th ranked team in FBS (regardless of early season polls being meaningless, this was a double digit win team in 2017 with more returning starters than nearly anyone)........................and we WON!!!!!!!!!

Another fact that I think is interesting and telling is that only FOUR (4) of those 25 played in the 2nd game (vs SDSU) last season. (Lucas missed the first 2 1/2 games). This is transformative.

Almost any coach will tell you that it takes at least a full season to fully implement a new offense or a new defense. I agree...........buuuuuuuuuut, this is a new defense that is very different!...............and as Hod pointed out, we have allowed 20 points over the first 2 games, something that has only been accomplished 5 times in the 41 Pac 12 seasons (the last time being TG's 2012 when we went 8-5). We will inevitably stumble along the way, but this is such a drastic shift for the future

The HUGE difference between 2012 and 2018 is the building of a program (not with 10 JUCO recruits immediatel/20 over the 1st 2 classes....or 50 overall) but with getting reps for young players and not just in mop up duty vs an FCS opponent like Sac State.

2 True freshmen get as any reps as anyone on the defense (Butler & Robertson)
1 true frosh gets as many reps as any backup (Crosswell)

9 Linebackers played....and that does not include 4th year player Ralson who looked solid in Spring and Fall camps)
4 DEs played
3 NTs played
4 Rangers played (Not including #3/#4 ranger injured Joey Bryant)
3 CBs played (unless Harrison played on defense and not just Specials, which would bring it to 4)
2 Tillmans played (and that does not include potential starter/injured Evan Fields)

Of those 25, 18 return in 2019 (plus Fields, Harrison and maybe even Bryant)

We are already in much better shape to endure the inevitable injuries and I would bet that 25 play this week too...............and somewhere close to 25 when we play Udub in Seattle.

Who would have ever thought that was possible!?!?!?!?!?!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News