ADVERTISEMENT

Aguano: Just Play to Win!!!

Devil Dust

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2006
Congrats on your new head coaching position...:)

We're pleased that you are much younger than Herm and have an offensive background, rather than a defensive background, that seemed to animate Herm's football philosophy...

His philosophy seemed to be characterized by a fear of losing games rather than winning those games, since he played "not to lose" football...

And, as we all know, playing "not to lose" is a throwback to the good old days of NFL football that existed eons ago...

We hope and trust that your philosophy will enable an RPO QB like Emory Jones to do what he does best, which is not sitting back in the pocket and trying to be something he is not...

He was recruited out of HS as a dual-threat QB, that cannot do what he does best, if he is playing out of a fear of getting hit, while running the football...

I hope that you and Glenn Thomas will lift that burden from his psyche and let him do his thing as a true dual-threat QB...

We need to score 30 points or more a game and cannot do that, while over-thinking everything related to the "fear of losing" philosophy that Herm embraced...

Of course, you also have to be very smart with the way you tactically approach situations unlike what Mike Leach did this past Saturday at LSU...

We like Mike since he's had a lot of success coaching "our kind of guys" that we are now playing with thanks to Herm's recruiting scandal...

But, dumb is, as dumb does, and we have confidence that you are much smarter than that, hopefully...

We don't expect you to beat more talented teams like Utah, USC and, maybe, Washington, but do expect much better discipline from the team, as shown by a reduction in penalties and related matters, that help define a team's identity...

Although, it would be great if you did beat some of those teams just for the heck of it...;)

So, I guess this is as much about character building as gaining enough "competitive traction" so you don't get fired by our administration...

I have to say that Herm was very good about that "competitive traction" maneuvering of his that kept him gainfully employed at ASU but didn't really elevate our game to any degree...

As I just noted, we aren't expecting any miracles from you but do hope that we now "play to win" while having fun instead of playing "not to lose" while not having any fun...

Sadly, at least to me, Herm did not appear to be having any fun, whatsoever, with his outdated football philosophy, although he was still a well paid coach, even with signs of significant depression manifesting themselves, while he was on the sidelines recently...

It was time for him to say goodbye, that's for sure, and now it's your opportunity to show what you can do for the team...

Maybe you can put some life back into the team by playing to win and not to lose...:)

We're counting on it...Go Shaun and Go Devils!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News