ADVERTISEMENT

ASU Football Staff's Pecking Order

Devil Dust

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2006
Obviously, Coach Graham is the CEO of the program but I was wondering about the "pecking order" of the assistants down the "chain of command" and whether that was indicated more by functions and/or by the pay received for those functions...

So, I turned to the Sun Devil Gameday program handed out before each home game to see how the assistant coaches were listed there and this is how they were listed, and I also show what they were paid for their respective duties...

Mike Norvell - Deputy Head Coach - Offensive Coordinator & QB Coach - $950,000 annual salary

Chris Thomsen - Assistant Head Coach - Offensive Line - $350,000

Keith Patterson - Defensive Coordinator - Linebackers - $470,000

Shawn Slocum - Associate Head Coach - Special Teams Coordinator/Outside Linebackers - $200,000

Chris Ball - Co-Defensive Coordinator - Secondary - $365,000

DelVaughn Alexander - Assistant Coach - Wide Receivers/Passing Game Coordinator - $215,000

Chip Long - Assistant Coach/Recruiting Coordinator - Tight Ends/Special Teams - $200,000

Jackie Shipp - Assistant Coach - Defensive Line - $265,000

Josh Martin - Assistant Coach - no designation - $155,000

So, what is the correct "chain of command" in terms of these positions and their importance to the program in your opinion..??

Obviously, the Sun Devils have a new OC in Chip Lindsey and he is not going to command the type of salary that Mike Norvell had at ASU, which is going to free up a big chunk of change to be distributed among the rest of the staff, I would guess...

Or, am I wrong about that..??

We also know that Chris Thomsen has decided to stay at ASU because Graham has made him an offer he cannot refuse, which I'm sure involves a sizable raise and, perhaps, a title adjustment to Deputy Head Coach or something akin to that...

Does that make sense..??

There is also talk about Chip Long perhaps moving to Memphis to be on Norvell's staff since they are good friends and he would probably become some sort of coordinator and receive more pay...

He is also considered a very good RC, so what should Graham do in order to make him stay at ASU or is that not a big deal or priority, do you suppose..??

I found it interesting, on another note, that the DC at AU, Jeff Casteel, makes about 30% more in salary than our DC and wonder why that may be the case..??

Any idea why that is so..??

The Cats RB coach is also the second highest paid coach on RR's staff and makes more than our DC makes, which also makes me wonder about that because, currently we do not have a RB coach and haven't had one ever since Bo Graham was let go just before the season begun...

Is this because having a RB coach is not considered a big priority for the Sun Devils..??

From all this, I would like to know how you feel about these other football staff questions...

Who is overpaid and who is underpaid on our staff these days and why..??

Is a recruiting coordinator more a "paper pusher" or a "rainmaker" when it comes to acquiring talent..??

How would you grade our staff in terms of other staffs in the PAC..??

Excellent, Very Good, So-So, Not All That Good or Unsatisfactory...

Where are we strong and where are we weak..??

I look forward to your feedback as always...Go Devils!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.