ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Recap (and presser video): ASU improves to 7-0 after knocking off San Francisco

Jack_Harris

Nov 16, 2017
TEMPE – In its encore of last week’s awe-inspiring Las Vegas Invitational championship, No. 20 Arizona State’s return to Wells Fargo Arena on Saturday was nothing special. But, after a never-in-doubt 75-57 win over San Francisco, the Sun Devils season continues to look so.

For the first time since 2009, ASU (7-0) is ranked. Not since the 1980-81 season has the program gone this deep into the season undefeated. Coach Bobby Hurley’s team didn’t need a spectacular display to add to its increasingly impressive resume: the last remaining undefeated Pac-12 team and one of just 13 unbeatens left in the nation.

“You appreciate where you are. There aren’t many teams that are in our position at this point of the year,” Hurley said.

For the first time this season, ASU didn’t break the 90-point barrier and shot less than 50 percent from the field. They didn’t have a scorer with 20 points and attempted a season-low 13 3-point tries.

None of it mattered. Even ASU’s arguably worst showing of the season resulted in a lopsided win.

“I thought it was good for us to have a game where we weren’t at our very best, and yet we are still able to win this pretty easily,” Hurley said.

Hurley said during his post-game press conference that he was expecting an offensive off-night. He gave his team a light week of work following its physical two-game (and two win) tournament in Las Vegas over Thanksgiving weekend.

“Throughout different times during the year, you’re not going to have a chance to give your team a breather,” Hurley said. “…I’m not completely surprised we did not play at our best level on offense, but we did enough things well that to keep the game at a safe margin.”

That big Sun Devil advantage was built early. While San Francisco, a team that was picked to finish behind only Gonzaga, St. Mary’s and BYU in its preseason West Coast Conference coaches poll, made just 1 of their first 8 shots, the Sun Devils raced out to a 25-6 lead within the first eight minutes of the game.

“As much as everyone was talking about our offense to begin the season, I was really pleased with the energy we defended with, especially early in the first half to jump out to the lead we were able to get,” Hurley said. “To have them have to chase us the rest of the game, you feel pretty good about that. Across the board throughout the game, our defensive numbers were very good.”

Some of those defensively-dominant stats: USF shot 28.1 percent on the night, went to the free throw line 14 times and scored 17 points in the paint. The Dons’ offense was relegated to launching 3-pointers, knocking down just 11 of their staggering 40 tries from the behind the arc.

As ASU’s usually explosive offense cooled, shooting just 36.8 percent from the field in the second half, it’s defense was heavily called upon to be stout for the first time this year – they were.

“When you play at this level, you are not always going to play your cleanest or your best game on offense,” Hurley said. “You have to be able to rely on the energy you have on both ends of the floor. I thought we had the right focus.”

Redshirt freshman forward Romello White was a big part of the Sun Devils’ shut-down presence inside. He scooped up 13 rebounds, but more crucially kept USF’s interior offense ineffective during his 27 minutes.

“His physical play, his rebounding takes pressure off the guards,” Hurley said of his 6-foot-8 big man. “Even when our guards get in the paint and miss a layup, if his man is contesting that layup, he’s a free guy to get the offensive rebound.”

White also helped contribute to USF’s 30-foul night. The Dons’ answer to his disruptive play was more often to foul, helping White reach the line 16 times.

“I like (getting fouled),” he said. “It helps me work on my free throws.”

Given his 8 misses from the line, he could use all the reps he could get.

“He’s going to shoot a few more free throws this coming week, I can promise you that,” Hurley joked.

Elsewhere defensively, De’Quon Lake added 4 rebounds (3 of which came on the offensive end), while the Sun Devils manufactured 6 steals as a team.

Despite its sluggish night scoring, ASU did have five players in double-digits: White (16), Tra Holder (15 points), Shannon Evans (14), Kodi Justice (12) and Remy Martin (12).

It all sets the stage for a big upcoming week, that sees ASU travel back on the road for a neutral site game against St. Johns on Friday (in Los Angeles) before a highly-anticipated trip to Kansas next Sunday.

For Hurley, Saturday’s win didn’t need to be another offensive firework show. Bigger moments are lying ahead of his team than a home win over a mid-major opponent.

“We’ve gone out and we’ve played good teams. We’ve proven that we belong where we are,” Hurley said. “Everyday there are more teams that are losing and there are less teams out there that haven’t had a loss.”

Not even its most uninspiring offensive performance of the year could remove ASU from that distinguished group.

---

Press Conference Video

Bobby Hurley:
p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica}

Romello White:
p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica}

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.