ADVERTISEMENT

Beat CAL, win a bowl, go 8-5.

SunDevil03

Nov 21, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I'd say 8-5 isn't a bad way to end the season. 7-6 would be a little harder to swallow... but I could handle it. If ASU goes to a bowl this year it marks CTG as the only coach in ASU history to go to 4 straight bowl games. (Someone can fact check me there... but I checked the wikis and cross referenced them with coaches.)

Frank Kush achieved 29 wins in his first four seasons at ASU. Todd Graham, as of this win vs. UA, has achieved 34. His season isn't even over yet. He could achieve 36 and have 7 more wins than Kush in 4 years. CTG is 3-1 in the rivalry in his first four years. Kush was 2-2.

Frank Kush has our field named after him and a statue in front of our stadium. We revere Coach Kush, but we drag CTG and his staff though the mud in downtimes. At what point do we start to respect CTG, even despite some of the losses, and look at him with the same kind of appreciation?

It's interesting how often we don't think about Kush's bad years. Maybe that's subconscious. But when you get down on our current coaching staff during a disappointing year, or one that doesn't meet expectations remember that Kush went 4-7 in 1976 immediately after our 12-0 year in 1975. Every team has down years. Disappointments. Struggles. Rebuilding.

If for nothing else... CTG deserves your support for going 3-1 against the scumbags down south. You don't need to give blind support. No. Talk about the weak points and criticize the occasional dumb play calling. But keep things in perspective. Look at the big picture and look at where this team is trending. Look at Graham's whole resume here at ASU and keep speaking victory.

I think at this point we're responsible for keeping the momentum going forward.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News