ADVERTISEMENT

Bickley Has The Answer

Devil Dust

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2006
Our friend at the Republic says that ASU should become the home to NFL type QBs and no longer the home of dual threat guys like Taylor Kelly, Marcus Mariota, Alex Smith or anyone else, apparently like even Cam Newton, because they are the exception to the rule when it comes to playing QB in the pros...

ASU should abandon its offensive scheme and attach itself to one that only pro style QBs would thrive under like Berco, I guess...never mind that Oregon only became a national power by going to the dual threat QB, up tempo offense or that that offense has helped other mediocre programs achieve a measure of success that otherwise wouldn't have happened...

Obviously, if you had an Andrew Luck type QB coming into your system every couple of years and lineman like the Cardinal usually bring in, then maybe you might consider such a thing but how often does an Andrew Luck come along and play at a school like ASU..??

He also advocates bringing in Kurt Warner as a Sun Devil QB consultant to enhance the likelihood for success of this approach at the school...

So, let's briefly look at where the PAC stands these days given their respective QB situations...

To my way of thinking, Oregon was the best team in the PAC at the end of the season because their QB, V Adams, had gotten healthy and they beat both Stanford and USC or the #2&3 teams in the PAC as a result...

V Adams is not a pro style QB and probably won't be an NFL QB in the future but he sure as heck is a great college QB, due to his dual threat ability...

Stanford employs an NFL style attack and K Hogan may end up being a pro QB someday and the Cardinal has won 3 out of the past 4 PAC North titles, I believe, using that type of attack...of course, they also have very good defenses to go along with the offense they use and have no problem recruiting elite players to Palo Alto...

Is there any merit, in your opinion, to what he has to say or is it just another crackpot idea used to sell newspapers in the Valley..??

On another note, the defense in this last game and in several other games as well, reminded me too much of the last Erickson team in 2011, that imploded and even lost to AU, that probably had the worst Wildcat team I had ever seen in the rivalry over 45 years...

So, at least we avoided that catastrophe this season...:)

Championships or Bust...Go Devils!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.