ADVERTISEMENT

Colorado Loss No Big Deal

Devil Dust

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2006
When I read the Daily Star this morning I was amazed that the FRONT PAGE headline read "Colorado Exits PAC-12"

The Sports Page headline read "CU Exit another PAC-12 Hit"...

The half page headline read "Big 12 would suit Arizona"...

So, the Colorado leaving the PAC headline is, apparently, the equivalent, at least down here, to "Man Lands On Moon"...

Wilner's
take on all this is that the loss of Colorado is basically no big deal the way the loss of USC and UCLA was a big deal...

After all, the Buffs haven't really down much while in the PAC so, asides from the psychological impact, what's the big deal, anyways...

I think we can all agree that Colorado didn't have much stature in the PAC, which raises this very important question for me...

How does our ASU stature compare to that of the Buffs in the athletic scope of things..??

What exactly have we done, especially in any of our Big Three sports, since the beginning of this 21st century..??

In contrast, look at what our rivals the Cats have done in basketball and baseball this century...

Sure, we've pretty much dominated them in football but has that lead to PAC and national championships, etc..??

They still have an elite, nationally ranked, basketball program, and have won a national championship and PAC championship, plus had several CWS appearances in baseball, while what have we done in those sports at ASU..??

So, is our stature closer to that of Colorado or Arizona, etc..??

Would a headline that says ASU leaves the PAC stir up the college sports world the way the departure of the Trojans and Bruins did or would there be a big yawn, as it is just another NO BIG DEAL departure..??

Michael Lev, a sports writer for the Daily Star, says that "the Wildcats should follow Colorado and depart the PAC-12"...

And, it's pretty clear to me from what I've observed down here that AU president Robbins is not going to stand by and watch his Cats go down the drain in the PAC, if our commissioner doesn't come up with the right financial package regarding a new media rights deal...

Sure, he says that the Cats will stand behind the PAC but he has his fingers crossed behind his back while he is mouthing those words, in my estimation...

Meanwhile, we sit with a president who is almost 70 and has been our school's leader as our athletic dept has been diminished, in any kind of athletic excellence, especially in our Big Three sports...

Not only that but we have an AD, who Crow hired and who has made one big mistake after another in our Big Three sports, IMHO, and is a lame duck AD presently...

So, the stature comparison question is the big one out there for me but another one is this...

Is the only thing holding the PAC together right now the idea that the PAC will have an automatic bid to the national football playoffs in the near future..??

Because, it surely is not going to be an overly generous media rights package, that's for sure, based on what we know today, right..??

So, once again, are we closer to Colorado in athletic stature these days or closer to a school like AU, etc..??

Go Devils!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.