ADVERTISEMENT

Dis N Dat

asuabby

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
So reflecting on this past win or maybe the past two wins, I am very pleased with the OL play. Our OL coach has done a good job of blending a couple of grad transfers with some returning players and finally molding an OL that is now a strength of the team. When the Utes' HC says that our OL trashed his DL, that's a very good compliment. Eno had some holes and Manny got some time. Additionally, we now have five OL commitments. Maybe not future all-Americans but, given our recent OL recruiting results, this feels like success, and there could be more. Good job, coach.

Also, during the first half, the radio guys were lamenting that Utah was attacking our DL with a Stanford-like approach. We were outnumbered at the line of scrimmage and that was allowing for Moss to gash us run after run. Our DC got that corrected and, by the third quarter, we were stopping many of the same running plays that were killing us earlier. Good job, coach.

And Manny put forth one of his better efforts. And so did so many other Devils last Saturday. Maybe Likens can coach up an offense. Good job everybody

Now comes the UCLA game that is important for at least a couple of reasons:

Win and we're bowl eligible. Might not be a bowl that will excite everybody but it's a bowl game, and gives the staff time to continue developing players for next season and something to brag about in recruiting. So let's pummel the Bruins. Beating them in SDS has to be easier than beating the Quacks or Cats in hostile territory. Take them seriously, get up early, don't let up, and win going away.

As for recruiting, this weekend is our last home game and there should be many visitors. We've got a lot of commitments already but we've got work to finish. Besides, one or two of our current commitments might not sign LOIs for one reason or another. Beating SC and the Bruins (hopefully) in the same year is a good story to tell recruits. Could be a great weekend.

And while thinking about recruiting, I think our biggest needs remaining to fill are along the DL and at CB. I know we have some guys targeted who might be silents but until they step up with verbal commitments, that's where I hope we can be most successful in the near future (like this weekend).

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News