ADVERTISEMENT

Game footage/my brief scouting report of De'Quon Lake (new hoops commit)

Erik Pierson

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2010
For the hardcore hoops junkies, I found some game footage of ASU's newest commit De'Quon Lake. Most of you aren't as crazy/obsessed as I am, so I wouldn't expect you to watch the games...but I did.

Now please keep in mind this is a small sample size (two games)...so if you want a more comprehensive scouting report, I would completely defer to Brendan Walker, the JUCO scout, who I interviewed earlier in the week. His analysis of Lake is posted in a different thread.

FWIW here's a few things that stood out to me after watching the game footage:

Pros:
  • Lake possesses very good-to-excellent athleticism for a player his size. He gets great lift off the floor (had a number of monster dunks) and is even laterally quick for a post player.
  • On offense, he does a tremendous job of sealing off his defender to establish position on the low block. He does a good job of making himself a "big target" for his teammates making the entry pass. And when he catches the ball, he is quick to make a move (doesn't overthink his next move). He can also finish through contact.
  • His go-to move is a little right-handed jump hook -- and he was usually pretty accurate with it. I didn't seem him shoot anything outside of 5 feet (except for free throws). However he displayed good FT mechanics -- i.e. no funky release or hitch in his shot.
  • He has good hands (made a few one-handed rebounds) and displays above average-to-good footwork.
  • He seems to understand what his strengths are, and doesn't deviate from them. For example, I don't think you'll see him float out to the 3-point line and jack up a lot of 3's next season. He's a throwback post player -- and he seems perfectly content/comfortable in that role.
Cons:
  • As Brendan Walker noted, Lake's effort level can wane at time. As a result, he tends to disappear at times during the game.
  • In my opinion, he doesn’t assert himself enough on defense or the glass. He was easily the biggest player on the court, but at times, didn't play like it.
  • Defensive positioning was okay (but then again he rarely had to play low-post defense). His man usually tried to pull him away from the basket. His help defense could be a concern (he was slow on rotations a few times, etc.)
  • Lake shows the potential to be foul-prone. He was actually in foul trouble in both games. (Otherwise he might have put up even bigger stats.) On offense, he has a tendency of being overly aggressive on the low block when he gets the ball, and lowered his shoulder into the defender (he actually picked up a numerous offensive fouls doing so).
Bottom Line:

Again, my opinion is based on a very small sample size, so take it FWIW but I think Lake should be a solid addition to the ASU roster. I'm not sure if he is a starter (he might be), but I definitely see him being a rotation player next season.

There has been a lot of chatter about Lake's commitment, and whether he's a better long-term prospect than Tshisumpa. As we all know, Jethro had the frame and athleticism to be an elite defender, and maybe he will develop into that. Since he transferred out today, ASU will not get to reap the benefits if that comes to fruition.

However, from what I've seen, I think Lake is undoubtedly an upgrade over Tshisumpa in the immediate future (as in next season and the following season). He may not be the shot-blocking presence that Jethro is/was, but he is definitely more polished and has a MUCH better offensive game. He also has a better understanding and feel for the game.

That's my two cents.

vs. Iowa Central – 1/7/17

14 PTS, 7-12 FG, 0-0 FT, 10 REB, 2 BLK (official stats said zero but I counted two blocks) in limited action (he was in foul trouble)

vs. Little Priest Tribal College – 1/11/17

19 PTS, 8-10 FG, 3-4 FT, 8 REB, 1 BLK (official stats said zero but I counted one block) in limited action (he was in foul trouble).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News