ADVERTISEMENT

GMs Help College Teams Operate Like The Pros

Devil Dust

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2006
That was one of the headlines this morning on the Daily Star Sports Section front page under the "Making Moves Behind The Scenes" as a way to introduce the Cats new Football General Manager - Gaizka Crowley...

Crowley worked, doing essentially the same thing, I would assume, at UNLV under Marcus Arroyo when he was the head coach there a few years ago...

I don't believe ASU has a General Manager although, Jason Cvercko, is listed as Dilly's Asst AD in charge of Player Personnel and Recruiting...

Daily Star columnist, Michael Lev, thinks the Cats GM under coach Brent Brennan may be the Cats MVP for all of the "behind the scenes" work he does for the football program in getting talent to Tucson...

Lev says this about the position "the general manager has become one of the most important figures for college football programs as they grapple with the transfer portal, NIL and, as soon as next year, revenue-sharing and scholarship reduction"...

The GM at Alabama makes about $825K a year and USC was prepared to pay him $1M a year to do the same things the Trojans but he stayed at Bama...

I don't know how much either ASU Cvercko, who came from Boise St and Wash St before that, or the Cats Crowley make but I'm sure that it isn't close to what the guy at Bama is making although what they do is just as important...

They evaluate talent at all levels and keep track of what's going on in the portal, etc...

They also have compliance and liaison duties within their universities...

I don't know if Cvercko's Sun Devil liaison work entails working with the Sun Angel Collective or not but it certainly does in some places where a university has basically integrated NIL work within their athletic depts...

I also don't know how much of what they do is basically logistical work compared to evaluative work in defining talent needs and the efforts to address those needs...

My guess is that it overlaps to a significant degree, although it will be up to Dilly and his staff to give a thumps up or down regarding a potential prospect...

It will also be interesting to see how this trend continues to expand within each bureaucracy, as some schools now have duties split between just working on HS recruiting and another section working on transfer portal recruiting, since there is so much turnover these days...

And, in the future, there will be Cap Management as each school will only get so much money to divide amongst their many sports and especially how that effects Title IX, etc...

ASU has more sports than just about any other university and had to add three women sports to its roster of sports once it added hockey...

I would imagine that a good GM would be worth their weight in gold...;)

One thing is for sure, there is no such thing as amateur college athletics anymore as its all turned into exactly what the pros do in the NFL, NBA, MLB, etc...

It will be interesting to see who does better in the coming years in football between both ASU and AU won't it, especially as it relates to their "GM" positions at each school...

Go ASU and Go Devils!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.