ADVERTISEMENT

Monday's Practice Report

Hod Rabino

Staff
Feb 23, 2015
Apologies again for the delay.

Much like the last two sessions, the team was still in helmets and shoulder pads and also in the Dickey Dome due to the slick fields.

Personnel news and I will just list both the ongoing and the new absences:

Let’s start with the good news and that is sophomore defensive back Willie Harts was back today for the first time. Obviously wasn’t doing any drills versus the offense.

Redshirt freshman defensive lineman Amiri Johnson was doing conditioning drills on the side, as was senior safety Evan Fields. Also not practicing were:

Junior defensive lineman Tyler Johnson is out of the entire spring (knee)

Redshirt defensive tackle Stephon Wright out of the arm sling, still not dressed.

Freshman offensive lineman Sioene Veikoso still out (ankle)

Freshman offensive lineman Isaia Glass seemed to have injured his right hand on Saturday as it was heavily bandaged (but no cast).

Didn't see Freshman defensive lineman Joe Moore. Did report that he had a cast on his left arm on Friday so perhaps that’s related to his absence.

Freshman offensive lineman Jacob Nunez wasn’t dressed.

Sophomore offensive lineman Dohnovan West wasn’t dressed. Was told it’s a minor knee injury.

Did not see freshman offensive lineman Triston Miller, freshman wide receiver Elijhah Badger, junior defensive lineman DJ Davidson, and sophomore linebacker Connor Soelle.

Sophomore wide receiver Ricky Pearsall wasn’t dressed.

Freshman wide receiver Chad Johnson Jr. suffered a turf toe injury on Friday and according to WR coach Prentice Gill will miss the next could of practices or so.

Junior defensive lineman Corey Stephens dressed but was conditioning on the sidelines.

Junior defensive lineman Jermayne Lole not at practice due to personal reasons. DL coach Robert Rodriguez implied that he could be back before the end of the 15 sessions.

Looking at the footage I took from the 11 on 11, here's the two-deep:

First team offense

QB Jayden Daniels
RB the two that rotated were Chip Trayanum and Daniyel Ngata
OL from left to right Kellen Diesch, LaDarius Henderson, Cody Shear, Henry Hattis, and Ben Scott
WR Johnny Wilson
WR LV Bunkley-Shelton
WR Andre Johnson
TE Curtis Hodges

Fullback Case Hatch and tight end John Stivers were in there in three tight-end sets (13 personnel) the first time this spring I personally observed that with the team. Those two rotated with A.Johnson and Bunkley-Shelton.

First team defense

Right defensive end Travez Moore and Michael Matus rotated
3-technique Shannon Forman
Nose Omarr Norman-Lott
Left defensive end Anthonie Cooper
LB Merlin Robertson
LB Darien Butler
LB Kyle Soelle
S DeAndre Pierce
S Cam Phillips
CB Chase Lucas
CB Jack Jones

Lucas took some nickel reps with Jones and Ed Woods beside him. We also saw dime packages (six defensive backs) with the starting four DB’s along with Timarcus Davis and Jordan Clark. Linebacker Eric Gentry got a good deal of first team reps today.

Second team offense

QB Finn Collins
RB the two that rotated were Rachaad White, and Daniyel Ngata
OL from left to right Ralph Frias, Armon Bethea, Ben Bray, Jarrett Bell, and Spencer Lovell
WR Johnny Wilson
WR Andre Johnson
WR Giovani Sanders (walk-on)
TE Jalin Conyers and John Stivers rotated and also were in two-tight end sets

Second team defense

Right defensive end Travez Moore
3-technique Anthonie Cooper
Nose Omarr Norman Lott
Left Right defensive end Stanley Lambert
LB Will Shaffer
LB Jordan Banks
LB Xavier Steele (walk-on)
S Alijah Gammage (walk-on)
S Vincenzo Granatelli (walk-on)
CB Keon Markham
CB RJ Regan

Lined up as kick returners were Rachaad White, Geordon Porter, DJ Taylor, and Tommi Hill.

Lined up as punt returners were Jack Jones, Rachaad White and Tommi Hill.

Kicker Jace Feeley who started classes last week has been in practice since Saturday. Ironically wearing no. 45 that belonged to Cristian Zendejas.

With the defensive line now having additional absences than last week, especially in the interior, it’s no surprise that the running game enjoyed success today and honestly overshadowed a pretty pedestrian passing game today. Naturally, the three-tight set also helped the ground attack’s cause. Center Cody Shear is proving to be a capable backup to Dohnovan West. Ben Bray at second team center was more erratic with his snaps today.

In terms of the passing game Giovani Sanders, who also had a good Friday session that I saw, continues to be a pleasant surprise and taking full advantage of the multiple sidelined players here. All in all, aside from dinks and donks really didn’t see that much from the passing game, although understandable with all the absences. But you also give credit for DB’s such as Chase Lucas and Kejuan Markham who had some solid pass breakup to prevent potential big plays.

All in all, with so many absences in the two-deep today it was hard to get a true read as to the state of the team midway through spring. With some of these players coming back later this week and next I believe a truer picture can be painted.

As you know, the media outlets covering the team rotate in coverage, so we cannot be there at practice for all 15 sessions. I hope to be back later this week.

As always, I can answer any questions.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News