ADVERTISEMENT

Pac-12 Recruiting Roundup

Ralph Amsden

May 1, 2013
Let's take a look at how the other Pac-12 recruiting classes are shaping up.

Arizona

17 verbals (2 QB, 3 RB, 2 WR, 2 OL, 4 DL, 1 LB, 3 DB), Currently #39 class

Best commits: The obvious one here is Michael Elitise. The player that will probably be the biggest star, no matter where Arizona uses him on the field, is Khalil Tate. Tate could end up at QB, or TE. Jake Burton is a defensive line prospect with a lot of size and could help the Wildcats early on.

Potentially overrated: When you have guys without any other FBS or Power 5 offers like Markell Utsey, Justin Holt, Russell Halimon or Gavin Robertson, it makes you wonder if Arizona is seeing something no one else does, or if these risks might not pay off.

Potential battles with ASU: It's possible that Calvin Bundage could be considering both schools- he's expressed interest in ASU, and his older brother has had a solid career at Arizona.

Cal

20 verbals (1 QB, 1 RB, 4 WR, 5 OL, 5 DL, 2 LB, 3 DB), Currently #31 class

Best commits:
You have to be impressed that Cal plucked Jordan Duncan away from all his SEC suitors. He's the highest rated verbal Cal has secured, and the most recent. Cal hasn't had a commit in nearly 3 months.

Potentially overrated:
I know he nearly picked ASU, but I was never overly impressed with 3-star DB Traveon Beck.

Potential battles with ASU:
Cal already got Beck, and Paco Perez (who ASU reportedly cooled on). I don't see ASU and Cal going head-to-head for any more 2016 prospects.

Colorado

11 verbals (1 QB, 1 RB, 3 WR, 2 OL, 1 LB, 3 DB), Currently #72 class

Best commits:
All five players they landed from the southeast. Building a pipeline into Florida and Georgia is crucial right now with Colorado not yet ready to take on Pac-12 opponents for west coast recruits.

Potentially overrated:
Craig Watts, Rivals #25 CB in the country who had 30+ offers, may struggle in the Pac-12 due to his size, but all signs point to him being a good pickup for Colorado.

Potential battles with ASU:
None

Oregon

16 verbals (3 QB, 1 RB, 1 WR, 1 TE, 2 OL, 2 DL, 2 LB, 4 DB), Currently #16 class

Best commits: The entire Pac-12 wanted 3-star OL Jacob Capra. Oregon could turn him onto a stud in the mold of Tyler Johnstone. I feel like 4-star DB Jared Mayden may be the prize of their 2016 class. They might have an interesting QB battle between Terry Wilson and Seth Green that gets even more complicated when Ryan Kelley arrives next year.

Potentially overrated: I've seen Darrian Franklin up close. He didn't do much to separate himself from other linebackers in his position group- guys like local LB Bozton Sanders, who is without an offer. Franklin could end up being great, but I when I saw him, I understood why he fell in Rivals latest rankings.

Potential battles with ASU: The Ducks already signed once-time ASU verbal Hunter Kampmoyer. Oregon is getting an official visit form ASU DL target Connor Murphy this weekend. They're also getting an official from Garrett Bolles this weekend.

Oregon State

19 verbals (1 QB, 2 RB, 4 WR, 2 TE, 4 DL, 3 LB, 2 DB), Currently #35 class

Best commits: In what might be the steal of the 2016 class, DE/LB Hamilcar Rashed gave his verbal to OSU without even visiting. With the right coaching, Rashed could be a double-digit sack pass rusher by the time he's a sophomore. Shurod Thompson has a lot of talent at the safety position, and Christian Wallace has the type of speed at linebacker the Beavers will need to compete with Oregon.

Potentially overrated: None. This is a solidly rated class. Thompson may not pan out as a star, but will likely be a solid contributor.

Potential battles with ASU: Oregon State has not locked down an offensive lineman in this year's class. They have an offer to Garrett Bolles, but I do not believe he is strongly considering them. Had ASU not gotten verbals from Koron Crump and Dougladson Subtyl, they may have made a run at Hamilcar Rashed, but I do not see this happening at this point.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.