ADVERTISEMENT

Punt team

lived1

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2007
The 2nd punt of the night by Haack was very close to being blocked. The snap was perfect (although I am not certain of the velocity and how John's compares to Fraboni's). I did not watch the blocking but obviously something was not right

Then the next punt with 7:40 left in the 1st half resulted in Haack taking off around left end to try to avoid the rush and was just short of a 1st down.

While the snap was not perfect on this one, it was not terrible. Haack had to jump slightly (maybe 14" and very slightly to his right ) and did not have to fully extend his arms (hands were just above his helmet with elbows bent when he caught the ball). I would bet that more than 70% of the time that snap would result in a fully timed and extended leg punt. I would also bet that 95% of the time that snap would result in at least a pooch punt where the punter felt the need to shorten his leg motion fearing getting blocked.

The bigger issue here was the lack of blocking. The replay showed clearly that either we've got a mess to clean up or some planned fake was poorly executed

The front line from left to right is 82(Harvey), 17(Rhodes), 64(Riley John), 7 (Ballage) and 30(Tautalatasi) with 2 gunners 16 (Chandler) and another that I did not see

The next line (closer to the punter) is 80(Epps), 22(Ralston) and 43 (Mendoza)

I have reviewed it numerous times and the blocking is so odd and bad that it is hard to imagine that it wasn't some type of a designed run.....if not, WOW!!!!!! The separation between Tautalatsi and Ballage is TWICE the separation between Rhodes and Harvey on the opposite side of the center.
Thus a defender is left in a sprinter's stance between Tautalatasi and Ballage who are each staring at a man directly in front of them.

So immediately Ballage takes the man in front of him, while Tautalatasi basically dives directly to his left to try to get some finger on the unblocked man (#25)shooting the gap

Meanwhile our entire 2nd row of Epps/Ralston/Mendoza crash left and the rusher (#31) shooting the gap between John and Rhodes is left unblocked with a straight (and even shorter) route directly to Haack

I think both of them would have blocked the punt if he didn't tuck and run........and on 4th and 8 with 7:50 left in the half, up 7-3 at your own 40 yard line it seems like a risky time/down/distance/field location to try a fake

To Haack's credit, he made an athletic move just to keep from being tackled 15 yards behind the LOS

UGLY PLAY (AND NOT ONE THAT I WOULD PUT TOO MUCH BLAME ON JOHN FOR.....AFTER HE PERFROMED WELL THE REST OF THE NIGHT)

Reactions: Cadeorade101
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News