ADVERTISEMENT

Refresh My Memory

Devil Dust

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2006
When Esmay was fired and RA went hunting for a new coach didn't Tracy Smith kind of come out of left field when it happened..??

I remember being pleasantly surprised when he was announced but I'm pretty senile these days and can't remember my own name most of the time, much less who candidates have been for jobs...

I understand the Jeff Capel move with the Jerry Colangelo/Team USA relationships, even if I'm not necessarily in love with it but most of the coaches mentioned don't exactly have chills going up and down my spine...

These just may be ploys to keep us occupied with them, while the real pursuit is happening in private elsewhere, that may result in a wow hire like Tracy Smith, keeping in my mind that ASU baseball is much different than basketball in terms of status and desirability...

So far, with most candidates mentioned, you would wonder why Herb was fired if that was all that was going to result from this coaching search...

On another basketball note, I was very impressed with the coaching job Chris Mack did against the Cats last night with that collection of "recreational league players" the Musketeers put on the floor as Greg Hansen said this morning in the Star and he meant as a high compliment...

For about 38 minutes last night, the Cats had basically been outplayed and out-coached by Chris Mack and his band of merry men...his use of the 1-3-1 zone really took the Cats out of their game and put them at risk of losing...

Some might say that Sendek has beaten the Cats several times as well but Sendek doesn't have the tournament record that Mack has had at Xavier...

Additionally, Xavier was no big deal until the mid 80s when they started hiring really good basketball coaches that allowed them to improve their facilities, donor and fan bases, so it was the coaching that came first and not the other way around...

Anyway, let's hope that RA finally finds the right coach for ASU...one that can elevate the program and not another average guy that is an NIT type coach...

Championships or Bust...Go Devils!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News