ADVERTISEMENT

Secondary is Job #1 in Recruiting

Devil Dust

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2006
Who would've guessed that we would've missed D Randall as much as we did this past season..??

A Perry and K Orr are CBs, not safeties, IMO and J Simone is a solid but not particularly fast safety, and the safety position shortcomings this season handicapped both Brown and Carrington at each corner position, in my estimation, because the ensuing composite back there lacked the necessary ingredients (speed and instincts) to thrive given our defensive scheme...

Additionally, when you look at other supposed safety candidates there don't appear to be any right now that would fit the bill the way it needs to be filled, in order to be really successful given our scheme...I just don't see C Adams, J Johnson, D Scott, C Gerhart, D Tautalatasi, J Otomewo or anyone else for the matter being all-star type safeties but admit that I could be wrong about that...

K Orr has a very bright future and did amazingly well given his true FR status and Perry was very good last season at CB but was injured at safety in the second game of the season, causing him to be red-shirted this year...

This safety problem is magnified to a large extent because we have to blitz all of the time to get pressure on the opposing QB, so when you don't have safeties that can cover a lot of ground in a hurry or aren't assignment sound due to many different reasons, you have a very big problem and are very susceptible to big pass plays as happened all season long against us...

Admittedly, most of the players I singled out above are still very young and learning, so I could be totally wrong about some of them, once they get more game experience but I have my doubts, regardless...this is not to say that they aren't good football players but only that they may not thrive at safety unless our front four can really get pressure on the opposing QB...

Of course, no one is going to thrive back there if QBs like Goff, Falk, Rosen, etc, have plenty of time with which to throw during games...

Am I being overly pessimistic with my analysis of our safety positions..??

Are Perry and Orr better suited as CBs as opposed to safeties..??

Was I right that the CB play suffered this year as a result of safety issues..??

Does any of this matter as long as we don't get sufficient pressure on opposing QBs to begin with..??

Championships or Bust...Go Devils!!!

Reactions: 1orthodoc
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.