ADVERTISEMENT

Sunday Walkabout

Devil Dust

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2006
Mornin Mates...

Today's Topic = Sex Appeal

I was wondering how much difference a renovated SDS will mean to the Sun Devil football program, especially since a renovated Wildcat stadium hasn't made much difference to the Wildcat football fortunes, either on the field or in recruiting, although RR has strung together a little more success on the field than his recent predecessors...

Graham seems to be doing a little better but the program went backwards this year, especially given the preseason expectations...at least his recruiting is better so far than Rich Rod's, if you are to believe the team and star ratings and rankings on this site and others...

Graham has made some inroads getting some key in-state elite commitments but still has to compete and overcome outsiders like Texas A&M, that has more resources than ASU with all that Texas money, for guys like Byron Murphy at Saguaro...

It looks like Kevin Sumlin's "sex appeal" is wearing off, to one degree or another in Aggie Land, since he has not parlayed the Johnny Manziel hype into wins at A&M, as he only has gone 7-9 in SEC games and 4-8 in the West SEC division, since Mr Heisman Trophy Winner left the program a few years ago...

Then again, do wins vs losses really matter all that much to kids that see a really cool coach that exhibits a good amount of swag in the way he conducts his business at TAMU..??

I guess that we'll all find out shortly...;)

On another note, this week Colin Cowherd made the point that power football trumps finesse football in college, as teams like the Ducks are more a finesse team than teams like Stanford and Bama and have had a hard time beating those types of teams consistently...

I'm not sure if that is true but know what he means, and it makes me wonder about the ASU program these days...are we more power than finesse or vice versa or just the right combination of both..??

Can you be a power defense when you have to blitz as much as we do all of the time..??

Can you be a power offense when you have a hard time scoring inside the five yard line far too often..??

Out of these top 6 bowl games, who are the power vs finesse teams..??

Oklahoma vs Clemson in the Orange Bowl...

Bama vs MSU in the Cotton Bowl...

Ohio St vs Notre Dame in the Fiesta Bowl...

Iowa vs Stanford in the Rose Bowl...

USC vs Wisconsin in the Holiday Bowl...

Oregon vs TCU in the Alamo Bowl...

Just as an aside, how many teams listed above are finesse teams, as most appear to be power type teams to me, which would appear to prove Cowherd's point or is he wrong about that..??

I look forward to your feedback as always...G'day mates...Go Devils!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News