ADVERTISEMENT

Sunday Walkabout

Devil Dust

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2006
Mornin Mates...

Today's Rainy Day Topic = Is PAC Poised to Win during Reshuffle ?

I don't know how much rain you've gotten in the past week or so but, where I live down here in Geezerville, we've gotten a lot and it's still raining heavily now...

We had a violent storm Thursday night that uprooted our 30+ foot Mesquite tree in our backyard but, luckily, it missed our house by inches, when it fell over...

Our neighborhood looks like a war zone and many in our community have been without power for days since over 50 power poles in the area were demolished during the storm...

We've had power, so no issues there, but Geezerville will need weeks before things get back to normal here...

Speaking of storms, how about what is happening in college athletics these days..??

That's why LA Times sportswriter J. Brady McCollough has written an article recently titled "PAC-12 is poised to win amid reshuffle"...

He says that since June of 2010, when the NCAA came down on USC for football infractions and Texas told PAC commissioner Larry Scott that it wasn't moving to the PAC but staying in the Big12, the PAC hasn't been the same since, and has encountered one set-back after another, since that time...

He doesn't know whether Texas and Oklahoma will get into the SEC, since 11 of the 14 schools in the conference would have to vote to let that happen, and since Texas A&M hates, you know who, they will, undoubtedly, be leading the rejection delegation against such a move to expand...

That said, J. Brady says that if both the Longhorns and Sooners move to the SEC that means the Big-12 is finished, which will elevate the PAC to one of the remaining P-5 conferences, that will enhance their position in this new reshuffled world...

As a result, he concludes (and I paraphrase) that "there's no logical move for the PAC but to watch this turmoil unfold - finally - from a place of strength"...

We've already talked about this a lot but do you agree with his conclusion that the PAC should just wait it out to see what happens..??

And, is the PAC truly sitting in a position of strength these days with the NIL issue swirling about and the NCAA not on any of the P-5 conferences "can't live without it" wish list...

J. Brady also asks if it isn't time for the P-5 conferences, led by the SEC, "to escape NCAA governance and start a new governing body with rules and structure that better reflect the reality that the major college sports have been professionalized..??"

However, regarding the PAC, J. Brady offers this and I paraphrase..."the PAC doesn't need to lose any sleep over any of this stuff, since it will maintain a key seat at the P-5 conference level, so it should just lay low and work to rebuild it's football infrastructure and get ready to negotiate a winning media deal in 2024"....

So, what do you all think about these key items..??

Is patience, in this case, a virtue or would a more proactive pouncing strategy be more beneficial to the PAC..??

Will the NCAA still be left standing when all of this is said and done..??

Also, will the PAC still be left standing when all of this is said and done..??

Is the PAC really sitting in a power position these days or not..??

There are a lot more questions than answers available right now but I'm pleased that we have a new commissioner who, hopefully, will be able to keep the PAC together and develop a much stronger and successful conference down the road...

G'day Mates and Go Devils!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.