ADVERTISEMENT

Sunday Walkabout

Devil Dust

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2006
Mornin Mates and Happy Spring...

Today's Topic = Congrats and Some Spring Questions

Congrats to our Sun Devil wrestling team that brought another trophy home after finishing 4th in the NCAA tournament, while capturing five All-America honors, in five different weight classes...

The top 8 in each weight class earns AA honors and here are our Sun Devil All-America winners...

125 - Brandon Courtney - finished 6th in tournament

133 - Michael McGee - finished 4th

149 - Kyle Parco - finished 8th

157 - Jacori Teemer - finished 6th

HWT - Cohlton Schultz - finished 2nd

Their efforts, along with their teammates, allowed the team to bring home a much coveted trophy from the tournament...

Emory Jones - he is a starting QB from Florida in the transfer portal who ASU is pursuing...

Is this a good thing..??

I raise the question because as a starter for the Gators last year the team was only 5-5 (6-7 overall and 2-6 in SEC)...

The Gators were 8-4 and 8-2 in the SEC the year before (2020 Covid season) and scored almost 40 points a game under QB Kyle Trask but, under Emory, the Gators scored 10 less points a game and had such a disappointing season that head coach Dan Mullen was fired...

He does have good size at 6'2" and 211, with very good mobility, so his dual-threat skill set is similar to departed Jayden Daniels but the Gators went backwards, as an offense, under his quarterbacking, based on stats and the Gators win-loss record under his QB leadership...

Has two years of eligibility remaining just like Paul Tyson and Trent Bourguet...

Florida was projected to go 9-3 and 5-3 in SEC by Athlon in their preseason magazine so they really didn't live up to expectations...

So, again, would getting Emory Jones to ASU be a good thing..??

Now let's turn to baseball and ask this question after we've looked totally over-matched by Oregon St...

The Beavers are ranked as one of the Top 5 teams in the nation so no shame in losing to them, especially on the road, but we've been clobbered in both games played so far...

We knew our pitching was going to be an issue but was our overall talent over-rated and in reality not all that great to begin with..??

Did Tracy Smith leave the Devils with a pretty bare cupboard that Willie is now having to deal with..??

My next question revolves around the Sun Devils approach to the NIL matter that is a part of college sports today...

I see where our friends down south have something on-line called the Arizona EDGE Business Exchange that is a digital marketplace where AU student-athletes can connect with members of the business community to work out NIL deals...

All I can find from ASU is a policy statement regarding the school's policy concerning NIL...

Am I missing something here or is ASU seemingly way behind the times when it comes to NIL dealings and why some of our student-athletes like Jayden Daniels and Jalen Graham have entered the transfer portal to better cash in on NIL deals..??

Finally, CBS sports reporter, Dennis Dodd, has recently surmised that any Notice Of Allegations (NOA) from the NCAA regarding our football program won't materialize any sooner than the Spring of 2023...

If true, how do you feel about that..??

Will that keep the dark cloud in place over our recruiting efforts moving forward, etc..??

Is it a net plus or minus in your estimation if that happens..??

Again, congrats to our Sun Devil wrestling team... :)

G'day Mates and Go Devils!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News