ADVERTISEMENT

Sunday Walkabout

Devil Dust

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2006
Mornin Mates...

Today's Topic = Hot Summer Begins

And college athletic departments are starting to melt down given the "economic earthquake" coming right at them given the recent NCAA anti-trust settlement proposal that will provide up to $21M annually or up to 22% each power conference school athletic budget to Athlete-students as paid employees of the school...

Iowa St has already scrapped plans for a new wrestling facility and Texas A&M has laid off a dozen or so athletic staffers while MIssissippi AD - Keith Carter - says it will come down to each school as to how they handle this financial issue, whether by finding new revenue or cutting expenses or some of both, depending on the circumstances...

I'm sure some of those staffers at TAMU don't believe their AD, who said the layoffs had nothing to do with the school owing former coach - Jimbo Fischer - a buyout amount of $76.8M but, rather, were taking precautionary steps to protect their existing business model...

I'm not sure where this leaves ASU that has initiated a new business model for its athletic dept but I guess we'll all find out in the coming months and years as they have to deal with athletic free agency, pay-for-play money associated with the NIL reality and now the antitrust settlement...

But, AU is supposedly upset by how president Crow has gotten rid of their athletic dept debt and wonders why the same standard hasn't been used regarding the Cats athletic dept debt...

Maybe, that's because Crow learned a lot from how the Cats athletic dept became some sort of bad guy when their president couldn't explain how his school executives had screwed up their school's finances to the tune of tens of millions of dollars, in part by how they handled their athletic dept finances...

I'm paraphrasing from an AP article this morning "Economic Earthquake awaits athletic departments" by John Zenor and from Greg Hansen's Sunday Notebook in today's Daily Star newspaper "Athletic finance double standard for Arizona and ASU?"...

The Cats are also not happy today given the quick exit from the baseball postseason the past two days, when as the #13 tournament Seed and playing at home, they lost to Grand Canyon Friday night and then to Dallas-Baptist yesterday afternoon...

Changing subjects, I see where the Sun Devils have been established as a seven point favorite against Wyoming in our first game of the season...

That's not a whole lot of points but is probably about right given where the Devils stand these days in their rebuilding efforts under Dilly and his staff...

It's hard to believe that we've had back to back three win seasons in football and I'm not going to make the same mistake I made last season when I drank way too much Sun Devil Kool-Aid and thought Dilly could turn things around very quickly...

Frankly, it's hard to believe that none of our Big 3 sports made any postseason tournaments this season...

I know we had a bowl ban but with only 3 wins our football team wasn't going anywhere anyway...

And, then we had a losing BB season under Bobby and didn't qualify for the postseason in baseball, under Willie, either...

So, I guess there is no way to go but up and, hopefully, an upward trend will manifest itself in all Big 3 sports this next year...

In the meantime, I can take pleasure in watching the Cats fall on their faces in both basketball and baseball...

It's not much but better than nothing, IMHO...:cool:

G'day Mates and Go Devils!!!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News