ADVERTISEMENT

Sunday Walkabout

Devil Dust

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2006
Mornin Mates and what a great morning it is...:D

Today's Topic = The Cup

The T-Cup symbolizes this great rivalry and what it means to both sides of the Arizona divide...we were very fortunate to return it to ASU yesterday in one of the most exciting games I've seen in my 45 years of following Sun Devil football...

I was lucky to be in the stands because on my way to the game on I-10, around 10:45am, I was stuck behind, get this, four different accidents between the Riggs Rd and Queen Creek exits, where there are only two lanes on the freeway in either direction...

My guess is that since it was bumper to bumper traffic on the freeway, that someone rear ended someone up ahead and then a mass type, chain reaction occurred at various rear points over that stretch of road, creating the multiple car pile ups that involved easily more than a dozen vehicles...

There were streams of police and emergency vehicles that responded and I'm sure many people were taken to nearby hospitals to be treated for injuries, etc...I felt fortunate to have been able to get through the mess and onto the game in time for the kickoff, while I know some AU fans were not so fortunate, as one of their caravans was involved in one of the accidents for sure, as they had Wildcat flags streaming in the wind in the carnage on the roadway...

I hope and trust that no one involved in these pile ups was hurt seriously but it was a royal mess out there...on the way back to southern Arizona, after the game, I was passed by the AU bus entourage that must have included a dozen buses on their way back to the Old Pueblo...they could not be happy with the way things turned out for them but they had to be proud of the way they played given the circumstances...

On the other hand, I'm so very proud of our Sun Devils this fine morning for finding ways to win the game and for the seniors that get to go out by bringing the Cup back to ASU...Thanksgiving came a few days early, which will make the turkey, mashed potatoes, assorted vegetables and salads, plenty of wine and other drink, and numerous pies taste all that much better, while I sit among many Wildcats on Thursday...

I believe there are now nine PAC teams that are bowl eligible which could rise to ten next weekend if Wash beats Wazzu in the Apple Cup game...I also believe that there are only about seven PAC bowl tie-ins so don't know what that means in terms of who goes where, etc, and whether a team or two that are eligible may get left out of the picture...

In any event, I'm very thankful today that our Sun Devils found a way to win the big game, which brought some salvation to a very disappointing season and I'll be interested to see if we have any gas left in the tank for the Cal Bears, if we will indeed go bowling, and whether this might have been Rich Rod's last game at Arizona...

You have to give both teams a lot of credit for the way they played yesterday in SDS...two pretty average teams playing with every thing they had for a full 60 minutes...you can't ask for much more than that...

Have a great week and a Happy Thanksgiving...;)

G'day Mates...Championships or Bust...Go Devils!!!

Reactions: pcock45
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News