ADVERTISEMENT

THURSDAY SPRING PRACTICE REPORT -- 2/27

JordanKaye23

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2018
Hey everyone, Arizona State football went through their third spring practice today. Here are our notes and observations from the two-hour session.

ATTIRE: Shells

MEDIA AVAILABILITY: Full two hours

Green non-contact jerseys: CB Jack Jones

Personnel Notes:

- Safety Cam Phillips was not spotted at practice for the third straight day. When asked about it afterward, co-defensive coordinator Antonio Pierce said probably "working on school." Interpret that as you will.

- Running back Demetrious Flowers was not at practice. Based upon Herm Edwards' answer about why Flowers wasn't there on Tuesday, my guess is that he's entered his name in the portal.

-- Wide receiver Frank Darby looked to have sustained a lower extremity injury during the 11-on-11 period. He walked off the fields limping and definitely favoring his right leg. He emerged with his left foot in a boot and he was on crutches. Per a team source, the injury isn't believed to be a serious long term one.

With that being said, his spirit was not detoured. While limping off the field, a young fan (probably 3 or 4) came up to him with football gloves on. Frank limped over and dapped him up. Then, when he was standing on the sidelines, he was still yelling at the DBs that they couldn't cover the WRs, even lifting his crutches to the sky anytime the offense had a big play.

FIRST TEAM OFFENSE

QB: Jayden Daniels

RB: DeaMonte Trayanum/A.J. Carter

FB: Case Hatch

WR: Frank Darby, Geordon Porter, Ricky Pearsall

TE: Curtis Hodges

OL: LT Kellen Diesch, LG Jarrett Bell, C Ben Scott, RG Dohnovan West, RT LaDarius Henderson

SECOND TEAM OFFENSE

QB: Trenton Borguet

RB: Daniyel Ngata/Nick Johnson

WR: Andre Johnson, Brandon Pierce, Jordan Kerley, Tannor Park

TE: Nolan Matthews

OL: LT Spencer Lovell, LG Ben Bray, C Cody Shear, RG Roman DeWys, RT Ralph Frias

FIRST TEAM DEFENSE

DL: Jermayne Lole, D.J. Davidson, Shannon Forman, Michael Matus

LB: Merlin Robertson, Elijah Juarez

CB: Chase Lucas, Jack Jones, Jordan Clark (Nickel)

S: Aashari Crosswell, Evan Fields

SECOND TEAM DEFENSE

DL: Amiri Johnson, Stephon Wright, TJ Pasafea, Stephon Wright, Stanley Lambert

LB: Kyle Soelle, Darien Butler // Caleb McCullough, Jordan Banks

CB: Timarcus Davis, Kejuan Markham, T Lee (Nickel)

S: Willie Harts, Keon Markham

OFFENSIVE NOTES:

--
Fans of CFB placards rejoice! It looks like ASU will be using some signage on the sideline with different pictures to get plays onto the field. On Thursday, there was a placard made up that had the Atlanta Flacons logo on top and an emoji on the bottom. It could just be a smokescreen used to divert possible sign-stealers but every time it popped up, every player on offense yelled, “Falcon. Falcon. Falcon.” Oddly, it kind of sounds like those birds from Finding Nemo going “Mine. Mine.”

-- Ok, not to be the guy making drastic determinations about the season after the third spring practice in February (!), but walk-on QB Trenton Bourguet -- who Brad Denny wrote an awesome story on last year -- has been taking nearly all of the second-team QB reps over Ethan Long. Does this mean anything? Maybe, maybe not. Long has never shown great ability under center and Bourguet has looked really, really good. Not that he's Jayden, but the dude doesn't make mistakes. He hits receivers. He avoids sacks. He makes the right reads. My guess is that Bourguet, who, as Brad's story points out, is really smart as it relates to football offenses, has grasped Zak Hill's offense better than Ethan Long. Time will tell if it sticks.

-- Oh, also, Jack Smith is back. The former wide receiver/quarterback medically retired after the 2016 season but, because of ASU's lack of QB depth, ASU brought him back to the team. Also, FWIW, Zak Hill recruited Smith out of high school, so there's a familiarity there.

-- I'm sure you've heard of running backs jogging on the treadmill with a football tucked underneath their arm. Well, ASU's offensive players did this today. Hey, anything to help prevent some fumbles.

-- Tight Ends!!! On one play during 11-on-11, Curtis Hodges ran a deep crossing route where he came from the slot on the left side of the line and ran toward the right corner of the end zone. Hodges ran uncovered and Jayden floated a beautiful ball in Hodges' pocket for about a 75-yard TD.

-- On another play, Jayden was trying to get a pass off with the pocket closing in. He threw it over the middle but the ball was tipped at the line by nose tackle D.J. Davidson. It fluttered in the air and somehow RB DeaMonte Trayanum, who was running to the left, dove to his right and reeled in a one-handed catch.

DEFENSIVE NOTES:

-- I first talked with new DL coach Robert Rodriguez at spring Media Day. I could not have come away from it any more impressed. He just seemed to get it. The former Vikings assistant DL coach said that the biggest thing that trips up college players in the NFL is their technique is garbage and they get left behind.

So, his first order of business in Tempe is getting back to basics. The Sun Devils were trying this drill for the first time today. Earlier in the day, he showed them a video of, what I'm guessing was the Vikings doing the same thing, and then had them do it. If you notice, the lane is kind of big. He called it a forgiving rush angle and said he's going to make it tighter and tighter as they go through camp.

But, just watch this video. I felt like I learned a ton about DL play (NSFW):

The goal was to get them to extend their arms so they can get a hand on the QB quicker. Most of them were trying to wind up and put power into it -- like a punch. That wasn't the goal. As Rodriguez told Amiri Johnson: “Your length makes up for any lack of power you may think you have.”

-- 5: In the 3-3-5 scheme, it was very common for a safety to come down and cover the offense's slot receiver. Because it was a zone scheme, the safety would only cover the slot guy on underneath routes. Once he got past that, it was the deep safeties responsibility. In ASU's new scheme, there is often a designated nickel corner that covers the slot receiver one-on-one.

Not only does this fit a man scheme, but it also utilizes where ASU has a lot of talent: Cornerback. You want guys like Jordan Clark and T Lee on the field. This scheme can utilize their athleticism more -- think about if Kobe Williams, Chase Lucas and Jack Jones could have all been solely covering one guy last year.

-- From what I gathered, ASU was mostly in a 4-2 front on Thursday. That means that there was a four-man front, two linebackers, three cornerback and two safeties. As Antonio Pierce mentioned, ASU did show a 3-3-5 look at times, but nearly every time it went to that formation, the outside linebacker rushed off the edge. In other words, it's very clear that the Sun Devils' main priority in Marvin Lewis and Pierce's new scheme is getting pressure on the QB.

OTHER NOTES:

-- On several occasions today, coach Herm Edwards shouted at the offense to pick things up and to focus, as they once again were guilty of a few false start penalties. There's been a good amount of turnover from a year ago, most notably at running back and offensive line, and the growing pains of the group trying to mesh together have been evident through these first few Spring practices. Edwards seems to be trying to bring some more urgency to the whole process.

-- PUNT Returners:

Jack Jones
Brandon Pierce
Nick Johnson
Daniyel Ngata
T Lee

Punter -- Kevin Macias

-- N'Keal Harry is a baller. You probably knew that. Here's another example of it. Today, he drives his Mercedes-Benz SUV to the practice field. And, no, he didn't park it near the practice field. He parked it on the practice field. He drove on the field, got out, threw his keys to someone and they parked it. Basically like a valet. It was wild. Anyway, he was there to work out with Manny Wilkins -- two of many former Sun Devils -- including Kobe Williams, Kyle Williams, Roe Wilkins, Tommy Hudson and Khaylan Kearse-Thomas training in Tempe on Thursday.

The whole thing reminded me of this scene from The Office:

QUOTES:
-- WRs coach Prentice Gill to Ricky Pearsall after he lackadaisically ran a short out route during walkthroughs: “Hey I know this is a walkthrough but you need to go faster.”

-- Just before walkthroughs finished up, Zak Hill yelled to his unit, unhappy by their early energy: “Hey fellas, if you don’t want to practice today we can get up bag it. Cmon, let’s get into this shit.”

-- "You have to drive that guy to the sidelines," OL coach Dave Christensen said to right tackle LaDarius Henderson during offensive line drills, as the group was practicing edge/sweep blocking in groups of three at a time.

PART 1/2 ...

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News