ADVERTISEMENT

What would you rather have?

Ralph Amsden

May 1, 2013
I had breakfast yesterday with ASU women's newest basketball signee, Robbi Ryan, who was visiting from out mutual hometown in northern Wyoming. Long story short, she plays basketball, soccer, volleyball, and then club basketball in the summer.

I've always thought multi-sport athletes were a good thing, but in today's age, a growing number of athletes dedicate the entire year to training for just their sport.

Robbi and her mother both said that while people like to say they value multi-sport athletes, it's almost like they're talking out of both sides of their mouth, because there's pressure to go to tournaments and invitationals and showcases year round.

What would you rather have? A player who concentrates on their one sport all through their prep career, or one who participates in multiple sports?

Does the sport matter? For me, if it's swimming, or golf, I don't care if they did anything else, but it it's basketball, football or baseball/softball, I like to see some diversity in their background.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News