Hod Rabino

Staff
Feb 23, 2015
DEC 4 UPDATE

Current players (in order of 2024 eligibility):

Senior Trenton Bourguet
Junior Jacob Conover
Redshirt freshman Jaden Rashada

Position snapshot: It was a bizarre season where all four scholarship quarterbacks did get snaps throughout the year. Needless to say, even that premise is not going to have all of the current signal callers on roster content with staying put. So, how do we see the roster picture here?

Rashada is likely going to be the clubhouse leader and the starting quarterback in 2024. I don’t believe he will leave for NIL reasons, but that’s not to say that ASU doesn’t have to step up its efforts and get him a better deal so there won’t be any wandering eyes.

Bourguet said he is going to stay, which is great news due to his experience and leadership. He’s someone who started six games last year and seven games in 2023. Conover may stay, too but he won't be in contention for a starting role.

All in all, I don’t see ASU entering spring practice with less than three scholarship quarterbacks. But the staff will try to land a quarterback in the portal to replace Drew Pyne. A Conover departure will definitely compell ASU to take two QB's. Either way, it would be hard to land an above-average quarterback from the portal who would know that his chances of starting in Tempe are fairly low.

Running back

Current players (in order of 2024 eligibility):

Senior DeCarlos Brooks
Senior Cameron Skattebo
Junior George Hart III
Junior Tevin White
Sophomore Kyson Brown

Position snapshot: Barring unforeseen circumstances, this may be one position where we could see very little movement. The staff would be satisfied to enter the 2024 season with Skattebo and Brooks leading the charge again, knowing that Brown, who didn’t redshirt in his first year as a Sun Devil, will only get better.

I don’t see Hart leaving ASU with one year left, but Tevin White may be a different story. Admittedly, I thought he would be a bigger factor this year, but it seemed as if an injury mid-spring practice just derailed that possibility for the rest of the year. Yet, Brooks, perhaps being one of the bigger surprise newcomers, certainly had a hand in White not seeing the field as often. On the other hand, even when Brooks missed several games due to different injuries, it was Brown and not White who was backing up Skattebo. Could that cause White to leave? Plausible, in my opinion.

ASU is likely to add four-star RB Jason Brown. If White left, that would obviously increase the pressure on ASU to replace him as well, and dipping into the portal isn’t out of the question to do so.

Wide Receiver

Current players (in order of eligibility):

Senior Elijhah Badger
Senior Xavier Guillory
Senior Melquan Stovall
Junior Jake Smith
Junior Troy Omeire
Sophomore Jordan Tyson
Redshirt freshman Kaleb Black
Redshirt freshman Korbin Hendrix

Incoming freshmen:

Zechariah Sample

Cullen Charles

(As a reminder, Elijah Baesa will not be part of this class; it is only a matter of time until he decommits as he is no longer in ASU’s plans)

Position snapshot: This position is one where I don’t expect to see much movement in terms of players departing and/or portal additions.

Elijah Badger has a good deal of film to leave for the portal, maybe even seriously entertaining entering the NFL draft. BUT, the back injury he suffered in the Oregon game has a high probability of derailing any thoughts of leaving ASU. I did detail this here.

Him staying on board is huge for a group that should get Stovall back (should have one more year left); Jake Smith will now be eligible in 2024, Omeire and Tyson are definitely high-ceiling guys, and I wouldn’t give up on Guillory even though he didn’t perform during the season as well as he did in practices. And the fact that his late-season leg injury will have him limited in spring practice may make the comeback process longer, but also one that could yield dividends. Black showed some flashes as a freshman and could break out during spring practice. Hendrix is hoping for a strong spring to make his mark. Sample is one of the more intriguing incoming freshmen in the 2024 class, and curious to see how well he can hit the ground running.

Andre Johnson leaving will have ASU looking for a wide receiver in the portal. But I don't see two players added here unless unexpected attrition takes place.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News