ADVERTISEMENT

Analyzing ASU's 2023 Roster

Hod Rabino

Staff
Feb 23, 2015
Analyzing ASU’s 2023 Roster

Just because the early signing period has ended and the vast majority of expected portal transfers have joined Arizona State hardly means that the Sun Devils are done adding players to its roster. Nonetheless, at this juncture, we still have a fairly clear picture of what the makeup of the two deep will be position by position.

Let’s take a closer look at this:

Quarterback

Caught plenty of flack saying that Trenton Bourguet and Drew Pyne will be the two-man race for the starting role here, but to me, it will be a massive shock, and then some if Jacob Conover, let alone Bennett Meredith or Daylin Mclemore would replace any one in that tandem for a legit shot at starter. Maybe, just maybe, Conover could do it, and I couldn’t tell you whose spot he would be taking in that race. But his extremely limited college experience can and does hinder him from truly taking charge. So, the Bourguet-Pyne battle is what we can all expect to witness going into spring practice and preseason camp as well.

Running back

I don’t know if any returning player intrigues me more than Tevin White when you consider a returning player that barely saw the field on Saturdays. This is why I think he will be the starter for the 2023 season opener. Do I think Cameron Skattebo is a questionable addition? Not at all. I just feel that a more dynamic White will be the one who ultimately gets more carries. But Skattebo will be breathing down White’s neck for sure, and this will be an exciting starting position battle. DeCarlos Brooks could be the No. 3 running back and a veteran Pac-12 player that is significant but returner George Hart III will definitely have something to say about that. Incoming freshman Kyson Brown is more than likely headed to a redshirt.

Wide Receiver

Kenny Dillingham, who is naturally one who believes in an explosive offense full of playmakers, has to like his roster coming into this season at this role.

Elijhah Badger is by far one of the best returning wide receivers in the league. Gio Sanders broke out in 2022, and I think could/should have a better 2023. I agree with many on the board that Xavier Guillory is probably the one who rounds out the starting three-wide receiver set.

So having a backup group of (in no particular order) Troy Omeire, Andre Johnson, Jake Smith, and Melquan Stovall is a formidable unit. You have freshman Korbin Hendrix who I think may have a chance at the two-deep. Zeek Freeman and Chad Johnson Jr. are returning players that could get lost in the mix. If I’m looking at attrition on this side of the ball, those are the two I might be looking at first. Ja’Kobi Lane flipping from USC will probably happen, but is definitely one newcomer that will need some time to acclimate off the field, so he contributes to on the field. Freshman Kaleb Black is likely headed to a redshirt.

Offensive Line

The coaching staff shored up this group very effectively through veteran portal additions. As mentioned on the board, I see the starting five as follows:

LT Isaia Glass

LG Ben Coleman (transfer)

C Leif Fautanu (transfer)

RG Joey Ramos

RT Aaron Frost (transfer)

Emmit Bohle and transfer Bram Walden would probably be the first ones off the beach at left and right tackle, respectively. Austin Barry will be in the mix at tackle as well. Junior college transfer Maxwell Iheanachor could burst on the scene as long he develops effectively in 2024 at either tackle position. Ben Bray, I think, can be a solid backup at center and has shown he can play guard too. Junior college transfer Kyle Scott will probably be a backup guard. Danny Valenzuela could be a surprise backup center. Incoming freshman Sirri Kandiyeli will understandably redshirts this year.

Tight Ends

There’s zero overhype in saying that this is undoubtedly an upper tier unit among the Pac-12 teams, with the duo of Jalin Conyers, who is a shoo-in to eclipse his 422 yards and five touchdowns from last season, and Messiah Swinson. Redshirt freshman Jacob Newell who had a season-ending injury in preseason camp, is someone who can be in the mix and will battle Bryce Pierre and Ryan Morgan. Under this new ASU staff, this is a group that finally be the one that truly makes an impact in the passing game.

To-Do list on offense:

Dillingham said he would never turn down an impact player. Now, I think that this stands true only to running back, wide receiver, and offensive line, and likely it would be a late addition that maybe can come mid-spring otherwise, only in the summer. But ASU won’t and shouldn’t reach here. Quarterback and tight end groups are set.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News