ADVERTISEMENT

ASU at WSU Game 3

Mendoza sitting @ #5 hole, and has earned it.......need some production out of Cromwick, Demera if we are going to score some runs today....like idea of Halvorson getting a shot @ Sunday slot......T Meyer still has a ways to go but am sure he will get opportunities @ midwk games to piece himself back together

Reactions: asued08
Hod, any updates on Contrades?......is it more of a muscle spasm issue that just needs to work itself out, or is there possible structural/disc issues?......thoughts on his chances of coming back this spring?

Hod, any updates on Contrades?......is it more of a muscle spasm issue that just needs to work itself out, or is there possible structural/disc issues?......thoughts on his chances of coming back this spring?
I would need to look into that

It’s not just Baseball. Baseball is a tell. For The entire program. If ASU can’t win in Baseball, it’s toast.
We haven’t won in baseball for a while. Not sure we need “a tell” I think it’s pretty obvious our athletic department is in shambles and we have all talked about it pretty often and consistently here.
Our baseball coach ain’t cutting it.

We haven’t won in baseball for a while. Not sure we need “a tell” I think it’s pretty obvious our athletic department is in shambles and we have all talked about it pretty often and consistently here.
Our baseball coach ain’t cutting it.
We’ve never been lose to UNM, Utah Valley, Swept by WSU bad

That’s bad.

yet another sad reminder…

The last time ASU went to Omaha, current Freshman were in Kindergarten.

This generation has no significant memory of ASU as a “powerhouse” so the history/tradition is not holding the same weight it once did.

This “sleeping giant” appears to be comatose

This generation has no significant memory of ASU as a “powerhouse” so the history/tradition is not holding the same weight it once did.

It's all crow's grand plan. I know my 17 and 22 y/o kids (who were raised on ASU football season tickets and games from other teams) couldn't care any less about asu or asu athletics. To the point, a few years back they asked why I was such a huge fan when they generally lose more than they win. An entire generation (crow's generation) of ASU youth know only mediocre athletics and zero passion.

I think I read somewhere before the season started that Willie and his pitching coach were going to go with a lot of freshmen pitchers, many from the Valley or around here, so they didn't have to rely on the transfer portal so much moving forward...

If so, does this help explain some of the pitching issues to date and what does that mean for the future...will it get better with more experience under its belt..??

I just think that this isn't a particularly talented team but certainly seems to have enough talent to win more games than it has to date...

It really has to be disappointing and exasperating for Willie as it now appears that we are going to duplicate what a experienced coach in Tracy Smith did at ASU in his third season in Tempe...

Maybe resurrecting the Sun Devil baseball program is mission impossible these days...:(

I sure hope not but things are not looking very good right now...Go Devils!!!

I think I read somewhere before the season started that Willie and his pitching coach were going to go with a lot of freshmen pitchers, many from the Valley or around here, so they didn't have to rely on the transfer portal so much moving forward...

If so, does this help explain some of the pitching issues to date and what does that mean for the future...will it get better with more experience under its belt..??

I just think that this isn't a particularly talented team but certainly seems to have enough talent to win more games than it has to date...

It really has to be disappointing and exasperating for Willie as it now appears that we are going to duplicate what a experienced coach in Tracy Smith did at ASU in his third season in Tempe...

Maybe resurrecting the Sun Devil baseball program is mission impossible these days...:(

I sure hope not but things are not looking very good right now...Go Devils!!!
To some extent and to your point the pitching issues were expected, but the struggles at the plate are a whole different issue...

To some extent and to your point the pitching issues were expected, but the struggles at the plate are a whole different issue...
Especially when we had 5-6 kids picked on all Pac pre season team I believe … hard to uunderstand the difference in our hitting 1st couple wks compared to last couple

Reactions: Devil Dust
This right here it’s the hitting that’s the issue we’re not getting smoked because of our pitching. We got filling errors to lose the third game in Washington state and bad hitting for the most part.

Are pitching has been good for the most part . RISP is killing this team and year

This year should be it for Willie...This season is spiraling down quick and he is not the type who is a coaching lifer or one to want to hang on for too long. He does not need to work another day in his life from a financial standpoint.

Quite frankly, I would not be surprised if he pulls the plug mid-season when it becomes apparent that ASU will have no shot at the post season whatsoever or a losing season is all but guaranteed.

They need to turn the team over to the assistant coach hired from Central Arizona who has head coaching experience.

This year should be it for Willie...This season is spiraling down quick and he is not the type who is a coaching lifer or one to want to hang on for too long. He does not need to work another day in his life from a financial standpoint.

Quite frankly, I would not be surprised if he pulls the plug mid-season when it becomes apparent that ASU will have no shot at the post season whatsoever or a losing season is all but guaranteed.

They need to turn the team over to the assistant coach hired from Central Arizona who has head coaching experience.
Anthony Gilich, former Central Arizona Community College coach, had a 394-111 record at the school in nine seasons, where he won two national championships and accumulated all sorts of accolades as their baseball coach...

Something isn't working right now for our Sun Devils but we'll see how this all turns out as the season progresses...

Go Devils!!!

Reactions: Tycap and asued08

He is not going quit in the middle of the season. I doubt they even fire him for a couple of years unfortunately.

I'm thankful every day that I don't follow ASU Baseball. I honestly feel for those of you who do.

Recruiting was strong with Tracy Smith. They were a top 5 program during the COVID year and just weren't getting over the hump in regionals. It's gotten a whole lot worse.

At least we don't have to worry about feeding The Beast like UCLA basketball coach, Mick Cronin, outlined on the Herd this morning, describing those coaches, like Bruins legend, John Wooden, who are real successful, that drive fan expectations through the roof...

The only "beast" ASU has roaming around its athletic dept these days is the "Cookie Monster" who has our in-state rivals laughing out loud and none of our upcoming Big 12 foes fearing the Fork in any significant way, especially in our Little Three sports, IMHO...

That said...Go Devils!!!

Tracy Smith is the worst coach in ASU baseball history. Willie might match him but as of the date the worst coach in ASU history has been Tracy Smith.
Tracy had a couple really bad years. We also fired him after three winning seasons. It hasn't gotten better. It's gotten worse. It's the same pattern with football. Hire new guy, blame the old guy, do the same thing...rinse and repeat.

I’m going to Buster bubble Tracy Smith had more than just two bad years. He had the two worst years in ASU history .now Willie hasn’t made it any better it’s definitely not worse

Reactions: DevilishSon
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT