ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball thoughts

asuhouseofheat

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Lehi, Utah
So we are coming to the end of another basketball season. I just wanted to put my thoughts together before I made this post about the season as a whole. There is no denying that after we lost to Lehigh I had about had it. I was ready to start the Fire Sendek chant. This season I was in the court and still am in the opinion that change is needed. One of his greatest attributes as a coach is the fact that he can develop talent. You look back at where Bachynski, Boetang, Glasser, Abbott, kuhksiks, and others that came into the program with a lot to work on. Then when they left they were incredibly better players. Having said this he is not one of the best recruiters and a lot of times has whiffed on guys due to character issues, differences with coaches, and other things

One can only look at the beginning of the season and to this point. The beginning of the season was marred with the fact that we could not win the close game. On multiple aspects of the game we struggled. We could not hit a free throw to save our lives. We could not rebound and seemed that we were constantly out hustled by the other team. We looked like a high school team that did not want to play. During the first half of the season I thought that we were in deep trouble. We were picked to finish 9th or 10th in the Pac-12 by the media. We were playing like we were the 12th best team. Savon Goodman was not eligible until January. The point guard position was a disaster. To say we were struggling and outmuscled can't be understated. Lack of size and desire was the story of the first half in my opinion.

Then came the second half of the season. Savon became able to play and he asserted himself as a stud and gave ASU some badly needed shot of desire. He in my opinion became one of the team leaders and showed that he wants to play and battles for the ball. Barnes and McKissic have been the strength and have been the backbone of the team. The development of Holder has been exceptional. ASU started 0-4 and have a chance to go 9-5 to end the Pac-12 season. Considering where this team started and where we might end it was impressive. However, the blowouts against Utah and loss at Colorado were embarrassing. The win vs. that other school should also not be discounted. For the fan base and AD sake I think it's best to move on. The basketball program needs a shot in the arm. Student attendance continues to grow and they were impressive last night. You want to build off the momentum with your fan base. The fan base is tired of waiting for tournament appearances once every four years. We need to get the students to be the next season ticket holders. I go because I am a sun devil simply. I would love to see us play top competition here at home though win or lose. Give fans even more reason to come.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News