ADVERTISEMENT

Monday's Practice Report 3.16.15 (Offense)

Byron Kline

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Good morning, Sun Devil fans! It's been an interesting couple of weeks since the big transition took place. Baseball started, basketball is STILL going on but finally, it's time for us to talk football again!

Today Arizona State began its 2015 Spring Camp at the Kajikawa Practice Field. The team practiced in shorts and shirts and there was very little contact, but it was good to see the team out there again playing football.

For starters, I'll be covering the offense this week and Adam will be taking care of the defense. We may have to switch things up a bit next week, but that's how things will go from now through Saturday.

There were a number of players who wore the green non-contact jerseys, most of which did not participate in practice, although a couple did. On offense, right guard Vi Teofilo (ACL) and tight end Grant Martinez (foot) were the key players who sat out this morning's session.

1st team offense: Mike Bercovici (QB), Demario Richard (RB), D.J. Foster (WR), Gary Chambers (WR), Fred Gammage (WR), Kody Kohl (TE), Evan Goodman (LT), Christian Westerman (LG), Nick Kelly (C), Stephon McCray (RG), and William McGehee (RT).

2nd team offense: Manny Wilkins (QB), De'Chavon Hayes (RB), Ellis Jefferson (WR), Tyler Whiley (WR), Eric Lauderdale (WR), Raymond Epps (TE), Sam Jones (LT), Steve Miller (LG), Tyler McClure (C), Devin Goodman (RG), and Quinn Baliey (RT).

First impressions: D.J. Foster will be a major weapon for the Sun Devils at wide receiver (SPOILER ALERT). While there was no contact, which is especially unfair for a defense trying to contain a guy like Foster, the senior was an absolute machine this morning beating guys up the sidelines, over the middle, etc.

No matter if it was Lloyd Carrington or Ronald Lewis, Foster pretty much had his way with the defense. He showed off his speed going vertical a couple of times and his agility with a couple diving catches near the sidelines, one of which he bobbled a couple of times before diving to secure before hitting the ground.

I thought both Kalen Ballage and De'Chavon Hayes looked solid as well. Again, without contact it's hard to assess the running backs, but both players showed a great burst of speed and Ballage showed some fancy footwork-type moves I couldn't recall seeing from him last season. I believe on one particular run he used a nice cutback to get past the line of scrimmage and then a spin-move to maneuver around one of the linebackers for additional yardage.

Hayes, who of course has been nicknamed "Playmaker" according to Graham, gave a couple glimpses of his potential with some open field moves to spring for longer runs. We'll get a better feel for these guys this weekend when the pads go on.

Mike Bercovici was solid. Nothing flashy but he played smart and didn't throw the type of balls that could lead to any real danger.

Manny Wilkins and Brady White were a little good and a little bad, which is to be expected. Wilkins connected with Jefferson for a 25 yard score during the first set of team drills but struggled with his consistency throughout the day.

White showed decent pocket presence and some good escapability but it was evident things were moving a bit fast for him out there.

As for the wide receivers (aside from Foster, of course), Whiley and Lauderdale both were very active. If the light can go on for Lauderdale, it'll only mean good things for the Sun Devils in 2015. He showed good hands this morning and caught a long TD pass during skele drills after making a guy miss on a nice stop & go.

After bouncing around last season between offense and defense, Whiley looks like he's found a home again at wide receiver. He's a bigger guy (not in terms of height) than some of the others at WR and uses his body well, especially near the sidelines.

Nick Ralston got a few carries at running back. Raymond Epps, the JUCO TE, looks very athletic and had a few nice catches.

I'm pretty sure Adam will cover special teams in his report but just in case, the punt returners were Hayes, Gammage, Brimhall and Foster.

The team didn't practice any kickoffs.

Zane Gonzalez went 1-2 from 42 yards out and FWIW Berco was still the holder on Gonzalez's kicks.

Marcus Hardison and Damarious Randall were on hand to watch this morning's sessions. Both guys were decked out in their ASU gear.

All practices are open to the public (until further notice), so feel to come on down and check out the team. I even got a chance to meet a couple Huddle subscribers today, which was cool.

If you have any questions, feel free to fire away and we'll try to answer them as best and quickly as possible.

Also, wanted to mention that I had the chance to speak with Demario Richard (interview coming later) after practice about his new role as the featured running back. He said Coach Graham told him he's a senior now. According to Graham, Richard cannot play like a sophomore. He must be the leader of the backfield and carry himself like a senior, both on and off the field.

This post was edited on 3/16 11:50 AM by Byron Kline

This post was edited on 3/16 11:54 AM by Byron Kline

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News