ADVERTISEMENT

My dark horse candidate to replace Sendek

Erik Pierson

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2010
If ASU isn't able to land their primary target(s), I'd personally like to see ASU assistant coach Stan Johnson get an opportunity to interview for the vacant head coach position.

Yes, I realize he has zero head coaching experience. And that alone may prevent him from being considered a serious candidate, especially when you consider ASU is most likely looking to make a "sexy" hire to appease the disgruntled fan base.

However, Johnson possesses everything you would want in a head coach: 1) high basketball acumen, 2) dynamic personality, 3) unbridled passion and 4) the ability to motivate/inspire players.

In his short time at ASU, Johnson has also proven himself on the recruiting trail. He was instrumental in bringing McKissic, Holder and Blakes to Tempe. He also played a vital role in getting verbal pledges from four-star recruits Markus Howard and Brendan Bailey (although both have de-commuted due to the fallout).

Furthermore, I've seen firsthand how the current players respond to Johnson - and it is abundantly clear they genuinely like and respect him. In the past, I've seen numerous comments (in the Huddle) about the perceived lack of emotion/passion that Sendek exhibited during his tenure at ASU. I can guarantee that will NOT be an issue with Johnson. He exudes energy and passion for the game - and that is abundantly clear when you meet him.

Here in the Huddle, there seems to be a split in regards to hiring an experienced coach who's been around the block...or an up-and-comer with potential. I see both sides of the argument - and quite honestly I don't pretend to know which route would be best for ASU.

However, if ASU elects to go the up-and-comer route, Johnson fits the bill nicely. I believe he's only 35 years old, and he has a long future ahead of him.

And regardless of how you feel about Sendek, I think most would agree that Sendek has an uncanny ability of identifying of talented young coaches and adding them to his staff. Just look at the impressive list of his former assistant coaches (Sean Miller, Archie Miller, Thad Matta, John Groce, Dedrique Taylor, etc.)

I firmly believe Johnson will be the next Sendek "disciple" to become a Division-I head coach (and probably sooner rather than later). The question is...will it be at ASU or another school??

Erik Pierson
Staff Writer

This post was edited on 3/24 9:41 PM by Erik Pierson

This post was edited on 3/24 9:44 PM by Erik Pierson

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News