ADVERTISEMENT

OT- Coyotes Throwback Uniform/Logo

theoriginalsundevil4life

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
The Arizona Coyotes (still weird calling them that) are going to be going back to the 90's jerseys/logo with the "Kachina Style" for an upcoming game. I know I'm probably sounding like the old fart I'm increasingly becoming, but "back in my day...this was a REAL logo...
1011595_10153038013305783_3056176319076310288_n.jpg

and these were REAL uniforms..."
tumblr_lblebzyt2Y1qblgalo1_500.jpg

Now in all seriousness, I don't understand the mentality of our sports programs out here in such a hurry to scrap what little tradition we have to go with whatever some stupid focus groups said would earn these organizations a couple of extra bucks over a 50 year period or whatever.

Both the Coyotes and Diamondbacks were IMHO stupid to get rid of their original logos and colors in favor of the bland colors we have now. I liked the southwestern look of both these uniforms and I honestly believe both should be brought back. I don't give a flying *$%^ what some idiot on the east coast thinks about our uniforms, which is ultimately why I believe both organizations eventually caved and went with our current blase look.

I do realize the irony of this post as I've been one of the bigger supporters of the uniforms ASU has trotted out and usually downplay the "bring back Sparky" folk. I believe I can differentiate my view points on the subject:

ASU stayed with maroon and gold. Yes you can argue we also use a lot of white, black, anthracite, flaming helmets, etc. I get that. The long and short of it is though....we're still maroon and gold. I like the other jerseys as "alternate" jerseys which I have no problem with. The Coyotes and the D-Backs however had great southwestern style colors that not only differentiated them among the teams in their sport, but from other franchises in the valley. Wearing purple and orange? Blam! Go Suns! Maroon and Green? ARROOOOO!!! Go Coyotes! Purple and teal? D-BACKS!! Red & White? All about the bird gang! Today you wear red and white and you could be rooting for the Cards, the D-Backs, the Coyotes, or even au! (ugh)

The Fork: Yes ASU changed their logo. I have no problem with this because it's cool. They still use Sparky as well. They didn't get rid of him. The D-Backs also used alternate logos including the snake with the ball its mouth. Once again no problem. Coyotes also used the lizards on the sleeves of its alternate jersey. Thought they were cool. The D-Backs however (while they technically did keep their logo) pretty much mutilated it by changing its colors. (Notice we didn't make Sparky black,white, and anthracite) The Coyotes also ditched the Kachina for a more bland looking Coyote who honestly looks more like a wolf than a coyote. (Coyotes are scrawny and kinda mangy looking)
Anyhow just my $0.02. I don't post this to get into another "Sparky vs Fork" debate, but more about the other sports teams in the valley.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News