ADVERTISEMENT

Players who impressed me (and also didn't impress as I expected) after week one of camp

Hod Rabino

Staff
Feb 23, 2015
Here are the players who caught my eye:

QB - I know I mentioned this already, but Drew Pyne is showing a lot more the first week of camp than he did the entire spring. This is why the race is tighter. Maybe not neck and neck with Bourguet, but together than it was at the end of spring.

RB - Kyson Brown. If Tevin White and others aren't careful, he may just take away snaps from a lot of players.

OL - Emmit Bohle at right tackle. Yes, starting there as they carefully bring back Aaron Frost as he was rehabbing his ACL injury in the spring. But showed that he isn't a weak link in the front five.

TE - Bryce Pierre. Building off perhaps an under the radar solid spring showing, he will be featured more in the passing game, even with a standout of Jalin Conyers ahead of him in the depth chart.

WR - Andre Johnson and Jake Smith. Showing more than just a couple of flashes, and I could see them entrenched in the two-deep.

DL - Dashaun Mallory. Was worth the long wait to get him here as he solidified the interior and help Anthonie Cooper and CJ Fite shine that much more because he will command a lot of attention.

LB - Krew Jackson. Build wise can be Eric Gentry 2.0. Much like Pyne did a near 180 from his quiet spring performance. Poised to get more run they I thought he would before camp started.

DB - Dee Ford. Just like Mallory proved to be a significant summer addition providing depth at corner, and could even start.

ST - Josh Carlson was punting the you know what out of the ball yesterday. Would be huge to see him elevate his game.

Players I expected more from at this point: RB Tevin White (has to step up to be the no. 2 RB), OL Ben Bray (started camp with more than a couple of bad snaps but improved), WR Gio Sanders (may have an uphill battle to start over Melquan Stovall)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News