ADVERTISEMENT

Scholarship Numbers as of January 8

Hod Rabino

Staff
Feb 23, 2015
ASU has 51 returning scholarship players.

Sun Devils added 21 transfers and 17 freshmen (the 18th signee OL Filiva'a Saluni will be on an LDS Church mission and only be part of the roster in 2026)

So, 51+21+17=89 scholarship players as of today.

I don’t anticipate any transfers and/or 2024 class additions from high school/junior college taking place before the spring, and post-spring practice attrition will help the numbers go down to the 85-scholarship limit.

As always, we have to keep in mind whether the NCAA’s sanctions at the conclusion of their investigation will include scholarship reductions that will be applicable for the 2024 or 2025 season (in my opinion, likely 2024), and if so, what does that number look like?

I anticipate that the penalty worst-case scenario won’t be more than a three-scholarship reduction, so the scholarship limit drops to 82.

Yes, that makes the numbers extremely tight in a scenario where you're already seven players over that limit, and you have to get down to that 82-scholarship figure when fall camp begins.

But one way or another, ASU will eventually get down to that number, and maybe just maybe, they will be lucky and not have to deal with that reduced scholarship number limit until 2025 so the can gets kicked down the road (and again, I don’t see that as the likely scenario).

I will make a separate post as to what the numbers look like and should look like at each position.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News