ADVERTISEMENT

Sunday Walkabout

Devil Dust

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2006
Mornin Mates...

Today's Topic = The House That Hod Built

No, I'm not already sucking up to Hod just because I'm an A-1 butt kisser but rather because I think he deserves it...I've subscribed to both sites for years and haven't hardly posted much here because I never really felt comfortable doing it while over at Devils Digest I did...

I don't know for sure but think that is why so many subscribed to Hod's site...you just felt pretty comfortable there and I think a lot of it had to do with Hod and his leadership style...most of us old timers are refugees from the Cactus Ranch site and some ended up at Devils Digest and some ended up here...

Both sites provided excellent Sun Devil recruiting coverage and each has grown in their impact on the Sun Devil fan base...some preferred Hod's approach more and some preferred Chris Karpman's approach more...

I guess this was a full time job for Chris while it was only a "part time" job for Hod, although you could've fooled me, as I don't think Hod ever missed a "deadline" or failed to deliver any relevant Sun Devil news in a timely manner...so it puzzled me to find out that Scout wanted to hire Chris to run the Scout site, when the Scout membership was a lot higher than that here...

It reminds me of some moments I've had in my life when not enough credit is given to what had truly been accomplished by others and to when some just have to monkey around with success, trying to be even more successful...for instance, did Coca Cola really need to bring out a New Coke to have even more success...obviously, someone thought they did...

I'm a firm believer that when you have success and stability that you don't mess with it but maybe the owners of Scout just didn't really appreciate what they had or maybe, like so often happens, a new guy comes along and just has to have some change for the sake of change...I don't know but do know that Devils Digest didn't seem to have any major issues that I could see...

I know some over there got annoyed by the ongoing postings related to certain Sun Devil subjects but Hod never much interfered with them because freedom of expression seemed to be the rule of the day and, besides, if you didn't like what was going on no one was forcing you to read the posts, etc...

Changing gears a little bit...it was annoying and frustrating to have to go through what was occurring this past week when it could've been handled differently by both Scout and Rivals...I know it was only business but it still came off as a pissing match between two competing companies at the expense of their respective customers who, in my opinion at least, deserved a lot better...

Finally, for those that don't know me, I'm a long time Sun Devil stockholder who has had three past careers before retiring a few years ago...I've run successful businesses and have written for some newspapers in the past, on a part time basis, just because I thought it might be fun and it was...I insinuated myself into the Devils Digest consciousness years ago and nobody has told me to take a hike so far and now that I think about it, that may have been the reason that Scout decided that a change was needed...

If so Hod, I'm extremely sorry for what happened...
wink.r191677.gif

I know that Hod, his partners and staff will continue to put out a good product for us to consume and also know that Chris will do a good job at the "old" site now...I have to admit that I was put off by some of the behavior of the Rivals faithful that went over to the old site and immediately disrespected Hod and others, for what exactly, I don't know...

Anyway, I look forward to continuing my meanderings in the coming weeks and months and hope we all can get along without too many big problems...

Hod, if this crowd starts leaving in mass right now, you know who to blame...
happy.r191677.gif

The house that Hod and his staff built over the years was pretty special and I really appreciate what you have done to promote Sun Devil athletics over the years and what you all will continue to do at this site...

Championships or Bust...Go Devils!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News