Sunday Walkabout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil Dust

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2006
Mornin Mates...

Today's Topic = Degrees of Separation

As I was watching the college football national championship game between Georgia and TCU last Monday night it convinced me more than ever that TALENT IS DESTINY...

It was like watching grown men play a bunch of teenagers or like watching an NFL team play a regular college football team...

And, that made me wonder how far ASU and the PAC are behind teams like Georgia and the SEC in terms of talent and what that will mean as we move into a 12 team playoff system in 2024...

Can the PAC and a lower-tier conference team like our Sun Devils find enough "men" to compete with teams like Georgia and Alabama, if we were ever to make our way into the playoffs some year...

I felt bad enough for the Horned Frogs but also wondered how a PAC team like Utah, with a healthy QB, would do against the Dawgs...

It looks like both Utah and Oregon St have found a way to take less rated talent and, yet, succeed at a very high level through better development of talent through coaching, etc...

I think Dilly will be able to get highly rated QBs, WRs, and RBs to ASU but will he ever get the type of linemen, that teams in the SEC and other places in the South, can get each recruiting cycle...

I like his "Activate the Valley" approach to recruiting and I know he will continue to be active in both Cal and Texas but will that fill the lineman deficit that seems to exist between the SEC and the PAC...

On another related note, how long will it take Dilly and his staff to extricate the Devils from the bottom third of the PAC and back into the middle of the PAC..??

More importantly, once we get back to the middle of the PAC, if we do, will Dilly and his staff be able to elevate us into the top third of the PAC, where Utah, Oregon, USC and Wash now reside...??

And, will it be even possible for him and his staff to ever get us to where a Georgia or Alabama reside..??

It seems to me that we are at least about 4-5-6 levels of separation from some of the top programs in the SEC...

Can we get an offense that can score enough points to even contemplate beating those types of teams..??

I mean how far removed are we from a program like Georgia and does it even matter..??

I've kind of given up on the thought of someday returning to the Rose Bowl but maybe that won't be that far-fetched under Dilly, although the PAC is much stronger these days, than just a year or two ago, when you consider where Washington and Oregon St are now...

Utah has gone to the Rose Bowl the past two years because they won the conference and didn't qualify for the playoffs...

And, in retrospect, I'm glad that USC didn't make it to the playoffs as they might have gotten skunked pretty badly by a team like Georgia, too...

So, where do we sit, from your standpoint, in terms of degrees of separation from the middle of the PAC, the top of the PAC, and from other programs down South..??

Speaking of degrees of separation, where is our basketball team right now when comparing it to the top of the PAC and in the country..??

Pretty interesting that we beat the Ducks badly the other night and the Ducks stuck it to the Cats yesterday...

This is not a pretty team to watch, oftentimes, but it's been effective so far in terms of winning games...

And, now we get to face a nationally ranked UCLA team on Thursday night in Tempe...:)

Has Bobby finally elevated us to the top third of the PAC in basketball..??

And, if so, can he sustain it..??

It's what degrees of separation are all about, right..??

G'day Mates and Go Devils!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News