ADVERTISEMENT

Sunday Walkabout

Devil Dust

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2006
Mornin Mates...

Today's Topic = As The Portal Turns

Here is a breakdown of the number of transfers that each Sweet 16 team had on their rosters...

Bama = 6

SDSU = 5

Creighton = 2

Florida Atlantic = 5

Tenn = 5

K-State = 12

Mich St = 3

Houston = 3 (however, none of transfers started for Cougars)

Miami = 3

Xavier = 5

Texas = 6

Arkansas = 7

UConn = 4

Gonzaga = 3

Princeton and UCLA = 0

That's a lot of transfers and when you look at a team like K-State, that has a new coach in Jerome Tang, that's a truly amazing accomplishment, if you ask me...

Like many of you, I was relieved that ASU gave Bobby an extension, not because I thought he could get us to a championship level, but because I feared what the Devils would come up with in a new coach...

Since, from what I can tell, men's BB is not high priority for either Crow or Ray despite being only one of two college sports that actually make enough money to support athletic depts...

But, what if ASU had hired someone like Jerome Tang, who had been an assistant at Baylor for 19 years, before he took the K-State job last year...

Could someone like that pull enough transfer rabbits out of their hat to not only get us into the tournament but advance to the Sweet 16, with an entirely new roster...

Tang was a guy with no head coaching experience and signed on with K-State for $2.1M dollars in yearly salary...

I'm sure hoping that Dilly who, I think, has more transfers than any other college football program and has no prior head coaching experience might do what Tang has done at K-State...

What's the football equivalent in football of making the Sweet 16 in basketball..??

Getting back to ASU BB, I was hopeful that with the Bobby extension, that we would not lose key players to the portal, but I guess that won't be the case as we've already seen...

However, Bobby has been successful using the portal to build his roster and they did make the tournament this season with a bunch of transfers playing key roles on it...

Additionally, Bobby signed a couple of highly rated HS recruits last November that included SG Braelon Green (6'3" 175) and PF Akil Watson (6'9" 200)...

Green
had over a dozen offers that included schools like Bama, Kansas, Maryland, Mich St, Miss St, Mizzou, VCU, USC and Wash...

Watson also had over a dozen offers from schools that included Illinois, Auburn, Creighton, Miami, Texas Tech, Florida St and W Virginia...

So, I guess if we lose some players to the portal, all is not lost, by any stretch of the imagination, since what the portal takes, it also can give in return...

The portal may be a soap opera of sorts but a highly dramatic and entertaining one at that...;)

So, I'll be tuned into this soap opera and wait anxiously to see what he can do with the portal in the hopes of elevating our program...

On a related note, Bobby's younger brother - Dan - has UConn in the Final Four and I wonder, if he had been the Sun Devils coach, if he could have done any better than Bobby did this past season...

UConn supports their BB programs in a way that the Devils do not because they know who pays the athletic dept bills there...

In other transfer news, our baseball team, that has a huge amount of transfers on its roster, is now only one game away from sweeping the Cats today...

"As The Portal Turns" might turn out to be the Devils salvation in several sports if handled properly...:)

What say you to all of this new college sports reality..??

G'day Mates and Go Devils!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News