ADVERTISEMENT

Sunday Walkabout

Devil Dust

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2006
Mornin Mates...

Today's Topic = Money Talks

Just read a post on this board where ASU lost a top-notch pitcher last year to LSU because the Tigers offered him $200K, through an NIL deal, to attend LSU...

And, the Tigers are now a game away from a national baseball championship...:cool:

Coach Jay Johnson makes $1.25M at LSU that is more than double what he made at AU which was $500K...

And, now we see that Devan Cambridge has committed to Texas Tech to further his basketball career and the Big-12 leads all conferences in NIL compensation per the Sports Business Journal...

This is the way the Sports Business Journal ranks NIL compensation by P-5 conferences...

1) Big-12

2) Big-10

3) PAC

4) SEC

5) ACC

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any details about this matter but the average Big-12 football player will make over $10K in 2023, from what I've been able to ascertain...

Surprisingly, West Virginia leads the Big-12 in that category whereby their football team members will average about $22K this season...

Newcomer, BYU is last in that category by only averaging about $5.9K per player...:(

I don't know what the PAC average is but ASU has made it clear that they do not want to be involved in an NIL "arms race" which may hinder some of their chances for winning championships in their Big Three Sports...

Relatedly, West Virginia alum - Oliver Luck - a former player and AD at West Virginia and - Ken Kendrick - the managing general partner of the Arizona D-Backs and WVU alum have put together the Country Roads Trust to facilitate NIL deals at West Virginia because they recognized that NIL money would be crucial in allowing West Virginia to be competitive in the Big Three Sports landscape...

ASU may lead other schools in "innovation" but, as we all know, money talks and BS walks...;)

That said, I think that Willy and Dilly are making progress in their respective sports at ASU but the sky might be their only limit, if they had the NIL collective piggy-banks that a lot of other schools have at their disposal...

It's hard to believe that we are almost into July and, therefore, football is just around the corner...:)

G'day Mates and Go Devils!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News