ADVERTISEMENT

Sunday Walkabout

Devil Dust

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2006
Mornin Mates...

Today's Topic = Difference Makers

The Sun Devils picked up another commitment from Cal last night in Sire Gaines who was recruited to play LB at ASU...

However, based on all the positions he's played well in HS, he might be able to excel at RB and/or Receiver in some capacity...

No matter, it's good to know that Dilly and his staff have made up a lot of recruiting ground following the disaster The Herminator left behind when he took off after just a few games last season...

The PAC preseason media days are coming up starting next Friday and our Devils don't figure to get much respect following our dreadful season last year...

I wonder how many Devils might get some preseason All-Conference mention by the media although most of it will go to USC, Oregon, Wash and Utah, as we all know..??

The conference has three QBs that very likely will go in the Top 10-15 NFL draft picks next year...:)

As we all know, they are Caleb Williams of USC, Michael Penix of Wash and Bo Nix of Oregon...;)

But, I'm wondering who will be the better QB between Jayden de Laura of AU or Trenton Bourguet of ASU..??

Based of what I know about Trenton, it would not surprise me if he ends up being one of the more underrated QBs in the conference, especially if he gets enough protection from his offensive line...

I don't think Drew Pyne is going to unseat at that position but, hopefully, he will become a competent backup at that position as the season progresses...

Along the OL, it looks like Isaia Glass and Leif Fautanu could end up being pretty good and maybe good enough to get some post season honors recognition...

Both TE Jalin Conyers and WR Elijah Badger figure to be All-PAC type of players and, maybe, Giovanni Sanders and Xavier Guillory will end up being just as good...

Defensively, the talent level doesn't look as impressive but with our new DC in place, perhaps, they will surprise all of us by being better than just okay...

And, Special Teams also has a new coach but we'll see how well they end up playing...PK Dario Longhetto has a strong leg but seems a bit inconsistent for my taste based on his past record...

I figure we'll know all we need to know after our second game of the season against Oklahoma St as the Cowboys will be a very difficult team to beat...

But, if we do, (and I think that we will win that game), then things for our Devils will get very interesting in terms of overall wins for the season, in my estimation...

Here's what an opposing PAC assistant coach had to say about ASU in Athlon's preseason football magazine...

"Things got so sideways under Herm Edwards that it's going to take some time to put it back together."

Okay, I'll buy that but not this next statement he made at the end of his analysis...

"It's (ASU) one of the easiest places to recruit to in the country but (also) one of the hardest to stay eligible as a football player."

Really, as that doesn't make much sense to me...:confused:

Does it to any of you..??

Oh well, I'm sticking with my prediction that the Devils will win 7-8 games this season, no matter what the preseason media comes up with...

I like just about everything about our new head coach and his staff and about our team, as it enters this next season...

If we consistently score over 30+ points per game, while only giving up less than 30 points per game, we are going to do just fine in my book...

We're definitely going to be much more fun to watch than the Arizona Cardinals, that's for sure, if you ask me...

For we have more overall "difference makers" than the Cardinals and enough to get us to the upper-half of the PAC this year, IMHO...

Do we or don't we, in your opinion..??

G'day Mates and Go Devils!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News