ADVERTISEMENT

Sunday Walkabout

Devil Dust

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2006
Mornin Mates...

Today's Topic = Sun Devil Hockey

I finally made it to an ASU hockey game Friday night at the Mullett Arena and it was a lot of fun even though our Sun Devils lost to Augustan 5-4 in the last 30 seconds of the game...

I was glad to see that they won last night 3-2 but I guess they are out of the hockey playoff picture, which has to be deflating for them...

But, they will be a member of the National Collegiate Hockey Conference, which many consider to be the best college hockey conference in the country starting next season...

It's amazing what Greg Powers has done with the program and I have no doubt that they will continue to evolve and elevate the program once they join the NCHC...

The Mullett Arena was great and I would imagine that it is one of the best college hockey arenas in the country...

It was full of Sun Devil fans who cheered loudly and obviously appreciate what the team has accomplished as a Division One program...

Our seats, thanks to my son, were front row on the ice near one of the goals were located...(unfortunately, the goal where the Vikings last scored at the end of the game)...

Talk about slam bang action in a very fast paced manner...;)

My wife, who is a big hockey fan, really got into the action and was disappointed, among other things, that the Sun Devil goalie was having an off night...

But, despite the loss, we had a lot of fun and, if we lived in the Valley, we would have season tickets, I'm sure...

That said, I liked the campus much better in the late 60s and early 70s when there were just a couple of laundromats and dive bars along Mill Avenue...

There are sure a lot of high rise buildings around the campus, especially near the lake, but there seemed to be a lot of empty offices, etc, there so wondering if maybe it is over built in that area...

I also didn't know that there is an ice-plex open to the public right next to the Mullett Arena where a bunch of people were skating and having a good time...

Too bad there is so much traffic to have to deal with in the Valley which is something we don't have to deal with down here in Geezerville...

I never thought that ASU might become a "hockey school" but if we can't turn the corner in some of our money generating sports that may be our only fall back position in the future...

If we get another dud as our AD that will likely spell doom for just about everything moving forward related to our athletic dept...

But, if we get someone who knows what they are doing maybe we can make a comeback in some sports that are under-performing these days...

At least I sure hope so...:)

In the meantime, let's support our Sun Devil hockey program as much as possible...;)

G'day Mates and Go Devils!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News