ADVERTISEMENT

Thon Maker has added ASU to his list of 4!

Denver Devil

Gold Member
Aug 23, 2006
According to an interview with him and his mentor, Ed Smith, Maker is looking at ASU now and will most likely be a mid-year (December) player at any school he chooses (KU, Kentucky, IU and ASU). He also stated that overseas is not an option they are currently looking at.

The reason for ASU, he states, is the long relationship with Merritt (since he was in the 8th grade). They now want to talk to Hurley and weigh their options.

Can't underscore how HUGE this would be if Maker was to commit to CBH! It would definitely send the signal that CBH and ASU are for real and wold also drive ticket sales big time.

Reactions: AKirshner18
According to an interview with him and his mentor, Ed Smith, Maker is looking at ASU now and will most likely be a mid-year (December) player at any school he chooses (KU, Kentucky, IU and ASU). He also stated that overseas is not an option they are currently looking at.

The reason for ASU, he states, is the long relationship with Merritt (since he was in the 8th grade). They now want to talk to Hurley and weigh their options.

Can't underscore how HUGE this would be if Maker was to commit to CBH! It would definitely send the signal that CBH and ASU are for real and wold also drive ticket sales big time.

Reactions: sjleach
Good to see ASU gets its foot in the door, but now a visit needs to follow to see how serious Maker really is.

Last edited:
Good to see ASU gets its foot in the door, but now a visit needs to follow to see how serious Baker really is.

Who is Baker...:)...Maker would be a great addition to ASU basketball...Go Devils!!!

PS: I like these emoticons...:D

According to an interview with him and his mentor, Ed Smith, Maker is looking at ASU now and will most likely be a mid-year (December) player at any school he chooses (KU, Kentucky, IU and ASU).

Holy smokes! o_O Those are some elite basketball programs! Even if we don't land this young man, to be in the conversation is incredible! Shows how much instant credibility ASU gets in hiring CBH.

Holy smokes! o_O Those are some elite basketball programs! Even if we don't land this young man, to be in the conversation is incredible! Shows how much instant credibility ASU gets in hiring CBH.

This one says more about his hire of Merritt to the staff than CBH adding credibility. Either way, it's nice to be in the conversation.

Reactions: Ovdevil

Perhaps ACBM would be more appropriate than CBH, at least for the services of PTM.

If any of you have had a chance to see Marvin Bagley play in person yet- imagine Bagley with less of a nasty streak, and a jump shot off the dribble, and you have Thon Maker. People keep throwing Durant's name out there as a comparison, but I think he's more suited to be looked at like a Kevin Garnett, or a Jonathan Bender (before his knee died).

If any of you have had a chance to see Marvin Bagley play in person yet- imagine Bagley with less of a nasty streak, and a jump shot off the dribble, and you have Thon Maker. People keep throwing Durant's name out there as a comparison, but I think he's more suited to be looked at like a Kevin Garnett, or a Jonathan Bender (before his knee died).

I have trouble imagining KG without a nasty streak. But Maker sounds like he has great skills.

I have trouble imagining KG without a nasty streak. But Maker sounds like he has great skills.

Well, this was Garnett before a decade of not getting out of the first round in Minnesota...

9e65a560-b87a-11e4-bf42-69377174ec61_KG21915.jpg

and this is him now

garnett-300x225.jpg

hahaha

My excitement for this possibility has faded the more I've read that Maker's plan is to prep school in the fall, college for one semester, then NBA. Hard to get excited about that, IMO.

What's the difference? 10 out of conference games? He'd be one and done regardless.

What's the difference? 10 out of conference games? He'd be one and done regardless.

There's a huge difference, IMO. If he was here all year, he'd be able to do pre-season practices with the team to get integrated. With the current plan, he's not going to practice with the team until Christmas and then try to get integrated just for conference play.

Don't get me wrong, I may still take him, but my excitement has been tempered.

There's a huge difference, IMO. If he was here all year, he'd be able to do pre-season practices with the team to get integrated. With the current plan, he's not going to practice with the team until Christmas and then try to get integrated just for conference play.

Don't get me wrong, I may still take him, but my excitement has been tempered.

The "juice" ASU and CBH would get from a Maker commit is more than worth it. After all, after next season the team will be made up of mostly CBH recruits.

My excitement for this possibility has faded the more I've read that Maker's plan is to prep school in the fall, college for one semester, then NBA. Hard to get excited about that, IMO.

I am with you BigE. College Basketball recruiting for the superstars is a joke.

I am with you BigE. College Basketball recruiting for the superstars is a joke.

Fully agree that it's a joke. Fully agree. I just don't see the difference between 25 games and 35 games played when it comes to these guys. Duke still claims Kyrie as an alum, and he'll appear in more games in the next 3 weeks than he did as a Blue Devil.

It's not always about what Maker will do for us in the short term, but it's more about CBH establishing that he is able to land the big recruits necessary to turn this program around. He will still be good enough for 25 games to give us a tournament birth, too.

Shoot....if the guy plays only one semester for us then bolts to the NBA, who cares. How cool does it look when Marv Albert's announcing the starting lineup for a team and you hear "the player in his first year out of Arizona State"

Just saw on Twitter he has narrowed it to Kentucky and Indiana.. DANG

Oh well, I'm certain most of us never really thought we were a serious contender. At this point, it's nice being mentioned with those other schools. Our time will come. With this staff, I'm confident we'll get some big names on campus.

Oh well, I'm certain most of us never really thought we were a serious contender. At this point, it's nice being mentioned with those other schools. Our time will come. With this staff, I'm confident we'll get some big names on campus.

Apparently, Maurice O' Field, who made a commitment to Buffalo in March, is reconsidering and looking seriously at ASU, who had recruited him under Herb...he is a 6'5" 200 SG who averaged 16pts per game in JC and is rated as high as the 15th best JC player in the country by 247 Sports...he was thought to be going to Maryland before committing to CBH at Buffalo a month ago...Go Devils!!!

Stiff competition aside, ASU was obviously very late in the game on this prospect so it was a long shot for various reasons.

Yet Jerry Meyer still holds firm to his prediction that Thon will end up in Tempe. He must know something to stand by that call and it came after Thon's FB message with the Indiana (football) and Kentucky jerseys. Gamesmanship by Thon, maybe? Oh the fun of following recruiting. But I do like the O'Field video clip as well as Evans. Can we have them all? :)

Two things: Jeff Goodman of ESPN is still saying he thinks Shannon Evans will come to ASU. Also, the Maker FB post was through a fake account and has no merit. While I think ASU is still a longshot, I think the odds aren;t as low as some make them out to be. I'd put it at like a 5-10 percent chance he winds up in Tempe.

Two things: Jeff Goodman of ESPN is still saying he thinks Shannon Evans will come to ASU. Also, the Maker FB post was through a fake account and has no merit. While I think ASU is still a longshot, I think the odds aren;t as low as some make them out to be. I'd put it at like a 5-10 percent chance he winds up in Tempe.

I'm going to see your odds and raise them significantly if Maker ends up visiting ASU in the near future, which he just might do if for no other reason than a courtesy to new assistant Brian Merritt...he's already visited Indiana, Kansas and Kentucky and, if he visits us, we are most probably in the ball game for his services...the twist is the mid-year enrollment scenario...Go Devils!!!

A little OT but not worthy of a new thread but...

I just spoke with a guy tonight who's little brother plays basketball with Marvin Bagley. According to him (and FWIW I don't consider him an insider other than being related to one of Bagley's teammates) there is no chance Bagley will end up signing with ASU. Not sure what value it brings, if any, but I figured I'd pass it on.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT