ADVERTISEMENT

Thursday's Practice Report 3.26.15 (Offense)

Byron Kline

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Adam and I were both at this morning's practice so we'll be splitting up the practice report duties. Like always, Adam will be handling all the defensive notes while observations on the offense can be found here.

Players in green non-contact jerseys: Raymond Epps, Grant Martinez, Evan Goodman, Fred Gammage, Eriquel Florence, and Vi Teofilo.

While Grant Martinez was a no-go for contact, the sophomore tight end participated in position drills and appeared to be moving around much better than last week so hopefully he can get back on the field sometime before the end of Spring.

Evan Goodman was moving around very gingerly this morning. I believe Coach Graham described it as a hamstring injury but it looks more like an ankle injury to me...me and my non-professional medical opinion. Whatever it is, it's definitely slowing Goodman down and I doubt he practices much on Saturday, which is not good for him because Sam Jones is gaining a lot of momentum these days.

I'm sure Adam will include this in his report but I just want to make sure it gets mentioned...Associate Head Coach Shawn Slocum was mic'd up during special teams drills today. According to a staff member, it's another new teaching method Graham and his staff are trying out this Spring. Not only does it help the players get used to Slocum (and vice versa), but it also allows him to talk to everyone at one time, keeping everyone on the same page during special teams drills and also engaged.

There was no W drill this morning.

First team offense: Mike Bercovici (QB), Demario Richard (RB), D.J. Foster (WR), Gary Chambers (WR), Eric Lauderdale (WR), Kody Kohl (TE), Sam Jones (LT), Stephon McCray (LG), Nick Kelly (C), Devin Goodman (RG), Billy McGehee (RT).

Second team offense: Brady White (QB), Kalen Ballage (RB), Ellis Jefferson (WR), De'Chavon Hayes (WR), Jalen Harvey (WR), Dan Vear (TE), Steve Miller (LT), Jack Powers (LG), Tyler McClure (C), Devin Goodman (RG), Quinn Bailey (RT).

Christian Westerman was not dressed in green but did not participate much in today's session. No word no why. The LG has been a monster so far through the first two weeks so it may have just been a day off for Westerman.

One guy that really stood out this morning was Dan Vear who has taken advantage of both Epps and Martinez being out the last couple of days. The junior had a handful of catches during team drills and was very aggressive with his blocking assignments. Depending on how long the other two guys are out, Vear could be a player to watch over the next couple of weeks.

Manny Wilkins followed up a strong showing on Tuesday with another one on Thursday. The redshirt frosh spotted Ellis Jefferson on a broken play for a 70+ yard touchdown and then later on connected with Gary Chambers for a 20 yard scoring play.

Manny has done a good job this week with his reads and not immediately going to the tuck & run routine, which he did quite a bit of last week.

Mike Bercovici threw his first INT of the Spring on Tuesday and threw another one this morning. Both times he's been picked off by Lloyd Carrington. This time it looked like Carrington just out-muscled D.J. Foster for positioning on a crossing route.

Berco was also nearly picked off by James Johnson in the end zone early on but the safety was unable to haul in the pass after having it bounce off his fingertips a couple of times.

Berco also threw a short TD to Jefferson in a goal line situation.

Brady White was steady. Nothing impressive but northing detrimental. If memory serves me correct, he's the still only QB who hasn't thrown an INT this Spring, though he has fumbled it a couple of times.

I was prepared to tell you all again how much of a receiving threat Kalen Ballage has really become out of the backfield and then Demario Richard went and made a pair of one-handed grabs, including one he turned up field for a long gain. Both players have had a really strong first two weeks and could be poised for breakout seasons at running back.

De'Chavon Hayes took some first team reps at running back.

Jacom Brimhall continues to be a lil' workhorse with the back-ups.

Ellis Jefferson and Eric Lauderdale both had very quiet days.

Jalen Harvey appeared to get dinged up towards the end of practice but I believe he came back on for the last series.

Things got pretty heated during OL/DL drills...between both the players and coaches. Both sides were fired up during the drills. Sam Jones continues to impress. For being a young guy, he doesn't shy away from competition and has some solid technique. Quinn Bailey also showed some good footwork on a couple of snaps.

Zane Gonzalez went 4-5 today, missing from 53 yards.

Hayes/Ballage, Foster/Deandre Scott, Brimhall/Chad Adams handled the kickoff returns. Adams muffed one kick.

Goznalez continues to be the kicker but doesn't actually kick. Instead they use the juggs machine for kickoffs.

Marcus Hardison was there again.

Also, Coach Graham will be flying to Greensboro, NC on Friday to watch the ASU women's basketball team in the Sweet 16. The Lady Devils tip-off at 9:30 PM ET and Graham plans to be back in Tempe for Saturday morning's 8:30 AM practice. Graham said after practice that he's had a chance to go to a few games this season and is a big fan of Coach Thorne. He really enjoys her intensity, he said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News