ADVERTISEMENT

Very early look at the 2024 recruiting picture and the numbers involved

Hod Rabino

Staff
Feb 23, 2015
If my math is right and you figure all the players who plan to go into the portal, plus all the players that will have exhausted their eligibility at the end of the year, you have 22 spots available (ASU currently has 78 scholarship players, which means seven spots open Plus 15 about to be outgoing seniors).

So 22 spots open, and that DOES NOT count attrition of players not coming back. And you have a recruiting class that does have 16 commits (remember that wide receiver Elijah Baesa will not be part of this class). So you have six spots left.

Now of course, there will be attrition taking place, but with a roster that has so many new faces, I don't think it's going to be a larger than usual number. Therefore, I can't see more than 10 players that I would expect to leave the team. So, under this scenario, ASU will have 16 spots open.

I would expect ASU, at a minimum, to add four offensive linemen, three defensive linemen, 1-2 tight ends, 2 linebackers, and 2 corners. The line of scrimmage additions are more than likely to be solely from the portal, but the other positions could follow the same route. Maybe, a junior college transfer here and there if they are a Spring addition.

When it comes to quarterback, running back, and wide receiver, there's a fair chance that everybody from those position groups would come back, but obviously, they would just plug in whatever position is needed depending on player departures.

Obviously, we will have a better grasp of the numbers the first week of December when we see players entering the portal, maybe get some early transfer additions at that time, and maybe also get a clearer picture in terms of any commits being added or detracted.

But in terms of a rough draft, so to speak, of what the recruiting picture is going to look like for 2024, what I posted is how I see the overall picture.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News