ADVERTISEMENT

What do the scholarship numbers look like as of today?

Hod Rabino

Staff
Feb 23, 2015
ASU has 52 returning scholarship players. I don’t know what the chances are of seeing attrition over the next few weeks before the transfer portal closes on January 3rd. But fully expecting to see some returning players entering the portal following spring practice in the April 16-30 window.

Another factor to keep in mind is whether the NCAA’s sanctions at the conclusion of their investigation will include scholarship reductions that will be applicable for the 2024 or 2025 season (likely though 2024), and if so, what does that number look like?

In other words, will ASU get a penalty that results in them being allowed to carry 82 players (and that is the harshest scenario I see), for example, instead of the max 85?

But for now, let’s assume that ASU can have the allowed max of 85 scholarship players. BUT let’s also keep in mind that offensive lineman Filiva'a Saluni will only count on the 2026 roster numbers, since he will be going on LDS mission, so helps a little.

85-52=33 spots for ASU to fill

In terms of high school commits has in essence has 17 commits HS since we know wide receiver Elijah Baesa isn’t going to sign, and again Saluni will sign with ASU but not count towards the 85-player roster.

So, 33-17=16 spots left for transfer portal additions as well as more high school or perhaps junior college players.

Right now, ASU has 13 Transfers committed (I will include Nex Mexico offensive lineman transfer New Mexico OL Shancco Matautia, who will commit if not today, later this week), which means under this scenario, they can add only three more transfers/high school/junior college players.

Do I expect ASU to add more than three players (transfers, high school/junior college players) by the time fall camp starts? Absolutely. ASU will make the numbers work one way or another and again, the expected post-spring attrition will help here.

I will make a separate post as to what the numbers look like and should look like at each position.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News