ADVERTISEMENT

8.3.17 Camp T Thursday Full Report

justintoscano

Gold Member
Apr 29, 2016
Hey guys, we're through four days of Camp T. All that's left is tomorrow's special teams "walk-through" and the scrimmage on Saturday. Here is the full report:

ATTIRE: Full Pads

STRETCH MUSIC: Billie Jean x Michael Jackson, Lifestyle x Rich Gang, Young Thug and Rich Homie Quan ... This program is nailing its stretch music this fall.

GREEN: QB Brady White, DL Jalen Bates, DL Corey Smith, DB Evan Fields, DB Demonte King

PERSONNEL UPDATES: TE Jay Jay Wilson was back at practice. WR Ryan Jenkins was out of green. LB Khaylan Thomas was out of green and I hd him on the second team today. WR Curtis Hodges didn't practice. He got hurt late in yesterday's practice. I heard WR N'Keal Harry is now 100%. He looked better to me today than he even did a couple days ago, so that's a good sign. TE Ceejhay French-Love got hurt early in practice and had to sit out the rest. Not sure what was up with him. OL Corey Stephens was out of the boot today. WR John Humphrey started on offense, then moved to defense, then went back to offense. Three jersey changes in total for him. He didn't look thrilled when he couldn't get the white jersey off the last time. Marcus Ball was a non-participant. Not sure what's going on with him. DL D.J. Davidson was a non-participant. I believe he was dressed, but he wasn't with the twos.

11-on-11: I'll just get to it. Here are the teams I charted. As always, I tried to make notes of who I saw subbing in, who got reps on what team, etc. Here we go.

First team offense: QB Manny Wilkins, RB Kalen Ballage/RB Demario Richard, WRs N'Keal Harry/John Humphrey (when he wasn't with the defense)/Jalen Harvey, TE Jay Jay Wilson, LT Cohl Cabral, LG Sam Jones, C A.J. McCollum, RG Quinn Bailey, RT Zach Robertson

Notes: Demario and Kalen were on the field a lot together, but both got reps with first team. Demario got some with second team too, but the fact that he's been primarily with the first team is great news for Eno Benjamin. Todd Graham after practice said he definitely expects to play Benjamin this year and doesn't anticipate him redshirting. WR Ryan Newsome also received reps with the first team, as did WR Kyle Williams. TE Tommy Hudson also took some first team reps, but was mostly second team because French-Love got hurt.

Second team offense: QB Blake Barnett, RB Eno Benjamin, WRs Ryan Newsome/Kyle Williams/Frank Darby, TE Tommy Hudson, LT Steven Miller, LG Connor Humphreys, C Cade Cote, RG Alex Losoya, RT Mason Walter

Notes: As opposed to yesterday, I didn't see Barnett get any reps with the first team in the 11-on-11 team drills. However, he did have the better day. More on that below. Tyler McClure took third-team center reps. There have been a lot of line combos this fall, and this week specifically. I saw Cohl Cabral take some second-team center reps. One of his snaps slid across the grass, but the others seemed pretty good. Rob Sale is really mixing it up. Trelon Smith took a few second-team reps, but Eno has really impressed and exceeded expectations, so Trelon/Ralstron were primarily third team.

First team defense:

D-Line: JoJo Wicker, Tashon Smallwood, A.J. Latu/Shannon Forman (played on the inside when Latu got hurt. Wicker moved back to the outside)

LB: Koron Crump, Christian Sam, D.J. Calhoun

SPUR: J'Marcus Rhodes

DB: CB Chase Lucas, CB Kobe Williams, S Chad Adams, S Langston Frederick

Second team defense:

D-Line: Renell Wren, George Lea, Doug Subtly

LB: Abraham Thompson, Malik Lawal, Khaylan Thomas

SPUR: Tyler Whiley

DB: CB Joey Bryant, CB Darien Cornay, S Ty Thomas, S Alex Perry

SKELETON: In this drill, it was virtually a 7-on-7 (no lines). Other than the 11-on-11, which I'll have more on below, it was the most telling period for me. Here are a few things I noticed:

-I wish Brady White was healthy. As a human being. He's got too good of an arm and the QB competition deserves him. There was one play where he rolled out to his right, threw off his front foot and lobbed it perfectly in between three defenders to Darby, who was in the very corner of the end zone. The ball was dropped. It was going to be a tough play anyway, but man, that throw left me with my mouth wide open.

-John Humphrey played defense in this drill and he wasn't even that bad. He looked a bit lost as could be expected, but he had a great play where Trent Gilbert caught a sure TD, but Humphrey ripped it out of his hands. It was a heads-up play for sure.

-We've tracked Joey Bryant's progress in camp. He still has looked good in drills, but he had one play where he got caught ball-watching and Phil Bennett let him have it. That's not anything unusual, though. Bennett isn't afraid to let anyone have it and I think the defense has really benefitted from that.

-For as good as N'Keal Harry is, it seems at times the staff isn't happy with the way he runs off the field or gets on the ball. They had to urge him to do it faster a lot today. But then again, he has the leverage — they would obviously never sit him.

-Manny and Blake played about the same in this drill. Manny had a couple TD throws and so did Blake, but both had balls that probably ended up in Tonto Creek, too. It seemed like a pretty even split.

-Kobe Williams had a bit of a rough day. He was beat on more than one occasion, but wouldn't read too much into this. He was still first team and has done a good job.

-The wide receivers may be the group with the most talented depth on the team, but there have been issues with drops the past couple days. Today, there were a few dropped balls once again. Even the running backs dropped a few, Ballage included. Hopefully this improves.

(SEE NEXT POST)

Reactions: paTTon42
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News