ADVERTISEMENT

ASU basketball hires Anthony Coleman as its assistant coach

Hod Rabino

Staff
Feb 23, 2015
Good strategic hire here by Bobby Hurley hiring Coleman who worked in the marketing department for adidas. This hire obviously gives ASU a foothold with the adidas AAU clubs which could pay dividends in recruiting. Furthermore, Coleman was USC's Director of Basketball operations a few years ago so he’s familiar with the West Coast recruiting landscape and the Pac-12.

With UCLA signing with Under Armour ASU is now the only adidas school in the Pac-12. Now, I’m not saying it will now be able to land each and every blue chip recruit who plays for a West Coast adidas AAU club, but being the only conference adidas school is naturally more of a benefit than a hindrance.

I know this hire will look like Brian Merritt 2.0, but first and foremost we are talking about a different character level person and I will leave it at that. Second of all, while Hurley and his current assistant certainly have east cost ties, they still need to establish ties in the West Coast (something I previously mentioned in the Huddle) and this is where Coleman can and should help quite a bit.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News