ADVERTISEMENT

ASU football 8.27.17 practice report

justintoscano

Gold Member
Apr 29, 2016
So, I heard Arizona State plays a game this week. Looking to confirm..

Here's today's practice report:

ATTIRE: Pads

MEDIA VIEWING: About 20 minutes

STRETCH MUSIC: Temperature x Sean Paul (classic hit)

GREEN JERSEY: QB Brady White, DL Jalen Bates, DB Demonte King

NON-PARTICIPANTS: It seemed these players were limited or non-participants during the 20-minute media viewing period:

DB Evan Fields, WR Ryan Newsome, WR Ryan Jenkins

OUT OF SCOUT: Alex Perry was perhaps the most prominent player out of the scout team today. He was in a regular white jersey instead of gold.

BALL SECURITY: ASU once again opened with this period. We saw some open-field tackling offense vs. defense in here.

Here is a video I took. I'll let you be the judge here. It's only one period of one practice, so keep that in mind. It'll be interesting to put the speculation about an improvement in tackling come Thursday.

TEMPO/TEAM: ASU ran two periods of 11-on-11. I did my best to chart teams and note who subbed in when. Here you go:

First team offense: QB Manny Wilkins, RBs Demario Richard/Kalen Ballage, WRs N'Keal Harry/John Humphrey/Jalen Harvey, TE Jay Jay Wilson, LT Cohl Cabral, LG Sam Jones, C A.J. McCollum, RG Steven Miller, RT Quinn Bailey

Note: There are more than 11 players listed. In tempo, ASU ran with 20 personnel (two backs, no tight ends). In team, they went with a standard formation and had Wilson out there.

Second team offense: QB Blake Barnett, RBs Eno Benjamin/Trelon Smith, WRs Terrell Chatman/Frank Darby/Kyle Williams, TE Jay Jay Wilson, LT Mason Walter, LG Connor Humphreys, C Cade Cote, RG Alex Losoya, RT Zach Robertson

Notes on offense:

So, when it came time for team, Manny Wilkins ran with some second-team skill guys. The most important change was Nick Ralston taking some first-team reps. I saw Jacom Brimhall with the second team. But it was somewhat flip-flopped. Manny ran with the first team line, but there were second-team skill guys out there. Blake ran with some first-team skill guys. Jay Jay Wilson was out there with both the first and second teams. If you remember from last week, TE Tommy Hudson was a non-participant for a couple days. I don't think he was out there during the tempo/team sessions today.

Now, the defense...

First team defense:

D-Line: JoJo Wicker, Tashon Smallwood, A.J. Latu

LB: Koron Crump, D.J. Calhoun, Christian Sam

SPUR: J'Marcus Rhodes

DB: CB Joey Bryant, CB Kobe Williams, S Das Tautalatasi, S Chad Adams

Note: Bennett last week said Latu has been playing "lights out." That could be why Wicker has played on the inside so frequently in practice lately.

Second team defense:

DL: Renell Wren, Doug Subtyl, Shannon Forman

LB: Khaylan Thomas, Abraham Thompson, Deion Guignard (I believe I also saw Malik Lawal out there, at least in the tempo session)

SPUR: Tyler Whiley

DB: CB Alex Perry, CB Darien Cornay, S Ty Thomas, S Langston Frederick/K.J. Jarrell (I saw both today)

Yes, you read that correctly. Perry at CB. It's a good sign for those who are high on him. I always said that I thought he looked really good for a freshman at Camp T. We'll see if there's any consistency to him being in the two-deep.

I don't believe there were any explosive plays for the offense in the team session. The defense had a couple sacks. In tempo, Barnett hit Benjamin on a pretty nice swing pass to end the period. However, in team, there were really no big plays to speak of — at least from what I saw.

That's all for today's practice report. Stay tuned as we make our way through game week.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News