ADVERTISEMENT

ASU football practice report 9.16.17

justintoscano

Gold Member
Apr 29, 2016
Hey guys,

ASU returned to practice today. There were a couple shake-ups in personnel, so watch out for those in our report. I have the offense, Jeff will have the defense right under this.

MEDIA AVAILABILITY: About 20 minutes

IN GREEN: TE Jared Bubak, QB Brady White

LOOKED LIMITED: WR John Humphrey, TE Mark Walton, DB KJ Jarrell

STRETCH SONG: Hells Bells x ACDC

SPECIAL GUESTS: Colts, Patriots, Bills, Giants, Panthers — there were scouts from these teams at practice. Additionally, Pac-12 Networks cameramen were out filming practice for ASU's episode on The Drive.

NOTES: I did not see LB Koron Crump (knee injury). TE Jay Jay Wilson was working with the LBs today.

BALL SECURITY: ASU always starts with this period. This time, Jay Jay Wilson was in there.

I saw him take a couple reps in the open-field tackling drill. Obviously, the scout team guys aren't making the LBs miss, but Wilson received props for his reps. He seemed to wrap up and drive the guy back pretty well. Again, it's a simple drill.

TEMPO: I tried to chart the teams here. You can see the defense in Jeff's reply, but here is who I had for the offense.

First team: QB Manny Wilkins, RB Demario Richard, WRs N'Keal Harry/Kyle Williams/Jalen Harvey, TE Tommy Hudson, LT Cohl Cabral, LG Sam Jones, C A.J. McCollum, RG Steven Miller, RT Quinn Bailey

Second team: QB Blake Barnett, RB Eno Benjamin, WRs Terrell Chatman/Frank Darby/Ryan Jenkins, TE Ceejhay French-Love, LT Zach Robertson, LG Connor Humphreys, C Tyler McClure, RG Alex Losoya, RT Mason Walter

Manny was pretty good in this drill. He moved the offense down the field. However, note Jeff's defensive differences below.

TEAM: I'll just note the changes.

First team: Kalen Ballage took reps with the first team.
Second team: RB Nick Ralston took reps with the second team.

The first team scored a touchdown when Wilkins found Kyle Williams wide-open downfield and Williams hauled it in. Kyle Williams beat Kobe Williams deep. This was a big defensive breakdown. The first team also ran an inside run to Ballage and a screen to Darby. Manny didn't throw the screen very well and he knew it. It was really the only poor ball I saw him throw.

For the second team, Blake threw an incomplete screen pass and then kept it. Media doesn't get to see this entire period, though, so our viewing ended .

I didn't notice Jay Jay Wilson make any huge mistake. I don't believe the coaches yelled at him for anything major, either. I'm not sure at this point if he's ever played any defense, even in high school.

Make sure to peep Jeff's report on the defense right below. If there are any questions, let us know.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News