ADVERTISEMENT

ASU football spring practice report 4/5

Fabian Ardaya

Gold Member
Feb 27, 2015
ATTIRE: Pads
STRETCH MUSIC: "Go DJ" x Lil Wayne (Not dedicated to DJ Calhoun, I think), "Retalliation" x Boosie Badazz

OUT: Eno Benjamin, Jalen Bates, Cam Smith, Marcus Ball (likely to attend to his newborn child)

LIMITED: Bryce Perkins, Kalen Ballage, Brady White, Cade Cote, Terrell Chatman, Dasmond Tautalatasi, Kareem Orr, Kyle Williams, John Humphreys

Maurice Chandler and Goose Cosgrove arrived late to practice on a cart.

GUEST: Tim White, select season ticket holders

QUOTE OF THE DAY: "The way you're hitting, it's like a pillow fight!" - Michael Slater

TEMPO (11-on-0):

FIRST-TEAM OFFENSE: Manny Wilkins (QB), Demario Richard (RB), N'Keal Harry (WR), Jalen Harvey (WR), John Humphrey (WR-slot), Jay Jay Wilson (TE), Cohl Cabral (LT), Sam Jones (LG), Tyler McClure (C), Steven Miller (RG), Quinn Bailey (RT)

The first team offense had a false start during their shadow period. Jay Jay Wilson was employed split out a bunch, and has been a lot more than Kody Kohl ever was. Makes sense given their respective athletic ability, but an interesting wrinkle.

SECOND-TEAM OFFENSE: Blake Barnett (QB), Jacom Brimhall (RB), Kyle Williams/Ryan Jenkins (WR), Terrell Chatman (WR), Ryan Newsome (WR-slot), Tommy Hudson (TE), Tyson Rising (LT), Connor Humphreys (LG), AJ McCollum (C), Alex Losoya (RG), Zach Robertson (RT)

FIRST-TEAM DEFENSE: Tashon Smallwood (TIGER), George Lea (NOSE), JoJo Wicker (END), Koron Crump (DEVIL), Christian Sam (SAM), DJ Calhoun (WILL), J'Marcus Rhodes (SPUR), Kareem Orr (BC), Chase Lucas (FC), Chad Adams (BS), Ty Thomas (FS)

SECOND-TEAM DEFENSE: Renell Wren (TIGER), DJ Davidson (NOSE), Dougladson Subtyl (END), AJ Latu (DEVIL), Khaylan Thomas (SAM), Malik Lawal (WILL), Tyler Whiley (SPUR), Didn't see the BC, Jalen Russell (FC), Owen Rogers (BS), Caleb McShanaq (FS)

BALL SECURITY:

The defensive line was again working on stance, hand placement and footwork. I noted a slightly extra sense of urgency out of Michael Slater today. He has put a massive focus on these things with Dougladson Subtyl this spring, as shown in this video.

I kept a close eye on Rob Sale and the offense line today. Much of their focus has been on leverage, using the same contraption Justin has mentioned a few times in order to keep them low and maintain their pad level. Sale also focused on footwork, driving the defensive lineman back and finishing each rep. He got mad a couple times, as he tends to do.

The only position group I saw CTG spending significant time with was the tight ends, where Graham spent most of his time talking to Christian Hill.

As always, let me know if you have any questions.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News