justintoscano

Gold Member
Apr 29, 2016
Hey guys, here is today's practice report:

ATTIRE: Full pads

MEDIA VIEWING PERIOD: 35 minutes

STRETCH MUSIC: 3005 x Childish Gambino

OUT: WR Cam Smith, TE Jay Jay Wilson, LB Drew McIntyre (back in arm sling),

LIMITED: QB Bryce Perkins, DB Marcus Ball, DB Kareem Orr, OL Cade Cote, DB Das Tautalatasi

SPECIAL GUESTS: ASU VP of Athletics Ray Anderson

ASU started practice with its open-field tackling drill, which had linebackers trying to tackle the skill guys. The overall performance of the defense seemed to be improved from Wednesday, when no one on the defense was really able to stop any of the skill players.

TEMPO: ASU then ran tempo. I tried my best to chart the teams for you guys. Here's what I had.

First-team offense: QB Manny Wilkins, RB Demario Richard, WRs N'Keal Harry/John Humphrey/Jalen Harvey, TE Tommy Hudson, LT Cohl Cabral, LG Sam Jones, A.J. McCollum, RG Steven Miller, RT Quinn Bailey

Second-team offense: QB Blake Barnett, RB Nick Ralston, WRs Terrell Chatman/Kyle Williams/Jack Smith, TE Jared Bubak, LT Tyson Rising, LG Connor Humphreys, C Tyler McClure, RG Zach Robertson, RT Mason Walter

Note: WR Ryan Newsome has been with the second team in tempo in every spring practice I've been to except today's. However, he was still present on Friday.

First-team defense:
DL: Koron Crump, George Lea, Tashon Smallwood, JoJo Wicker
LB: DJ Calhoun, Christian Sam
DB: Kareem Orr, Maurice Chandler, Frank Darby, Chad Adams, Ty Thomas

Second-team defense:
DL: Doug Subtyl, DJ Davidson, Renell Wren, Alani Latu
LB: Couldn't identify
DB: J'Marcus Rhodes, Chase Lucas, Jeremy Smith, Owen Rogers, one more player

"W" DRILL: ASU ran its "W" drill, which is a play off of the well-known Oklahoma drill. It was a pretty chaotic couple of minutes as they ran it quickly before going to individual work. Video below:

INDIVIDUAL: This was the last period we were able to see. The quarterbacks worked on the far side of the field, but we were up close to the defense. Immediately after the "W" drill, the receivers and corners did 1-on-1s. There was no quarterback, but the corners bumped them at the line and covered them as they ran downfield.

My observations:
-John Humphrey stole the show with one rep where he completely blew by Chase Lucas. I don't even think Lucas bumped Humphrey — he just torched him. I'm not sure if that rep was the reason why, but Lucas was doing up-downs shortly after.
-The wide receivers looked pretty good in the 1-on-1 drill. Not sure if that says more about them or the defensive backs, but may be a bit of both.
-Todd Graham talked about Jalen Harvey looking much faster and more explosive. I noticed a bit of that too in the 1-on-1 drill.

QUOTE OF THE DAY: I was close to DC Phil Bennett, who has yelled a lot of interesting things this spring. I thought this one would be nice for you guys to hear.

"BIG PLAYS COME ON SCRAMBLES!"-Bennett

That happened a lot last year.

Thanks for reading, guys! If you have any questions, feel free to send them my way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News