ADVERTISEMENT

ASU's postgame quotes

Hod Rabino

Staff
Feb 23, 2015
Arizona State Head Coach Herm Edwards
Opening Statement:

“We did not play well. Opening this game up in the first half we didn’t play very well on either side of the ball. The take away I take from it is obviously the turnovers and miscues. Five turnovers is way too many and defensively they beat us on the 50-50 ball, they threw it up, they caught it. We had some opportunities to catch some balls and we didn’t. It became one of those games where all of the sudden they got up early and we were playing catch up football and that’s always hard to do. Then, it puts you in a position where you can’t control the tempo of how you want to play the game, or run the football in a sense that we’re trying to keep their offense off the field. They did a nice job of getting out early to an early lead at home against us and I think our players took this home venue for granted thinking that if we play at home then everything is going to work out but it doesn't work out when you turn the ball over, and drop balls, and give big plays in the passing game. We have a lot of fixing to do. Second half was a little bit better defensively. I thought we did some things early, we got off the field but offensively we kind of got going in the second half but it was just way too late. A lot of work to do, that’s what we’ve got to do.”

On the team’s effort today:
“I thought we played hard, I think sometimes when you get down like that you don’t see energy but I don’t think our players don’t play hard. I hear that a lot in football, players don’t play hard, but I think it’s energy. When you’re down you’re kind of stunned, like ‘wait a minute, what just happened?’ But I thought our guys for the most part, defensively we were behind the 8 ball early with a couple turnovers and stopped them but offensively we could never get out of our own way. We dropped some big time balls on third down and didn’t get in the red zone, we got down there and didn’t score. You have to catch those balls, when you’re playing a game like this and you’re behind you can’t make those glaring errors and that’s what kind of happened to us.”

On offensive performance and moving on from this game:
“It wasn’t complimentary football. We turned it over in the game, we got the ball and turned it over and the defense stopped them, for the most part. Then we get the ball again and don’t do anything with it and low and behold we turn it over again and it becomes one of those games and gives the other team energy. They’ve hit some big balls on us, down the rail. We’re man coverage and sometimes they hit those; the 50-50 balls they caught. We had some opportunities and we did not. So, all of those things become part of it.”

On players handling diversity:
“What’s kind of funny about that, or what’s really strange is that there’s a lot of guys that have played a lot of football here, it’s not like it’s young guys. I think sometimes their intentions are really good and when something happens they have to get through it and let it go, don’t hold on to it. I think sometimes we hold on to it a bit too long and that’s my assessment of it, that’s how I look at it. It’s a resilient group of guys, they’re hurting that’s no doubt. They’re hurting bad in the locker room. It’s going to hurt and it should hurt, it’s not fun when you lose. You lose two in a row, that sense of accomplishment that you haven’t had in a couple weeks, it’s been three weeks because we had a bye, we have to find a way to win a game so we can get some joy back in the locker room.”

On Johnny Wilson’s condition and Rachaad White:
“Johnny is still a little sore so we didn’t want to have to change it too much and Rachaad was almost ready to go but wasn’t 100% so we just felt like ‘we’re not going to put him out there’. We always try to protect the players, that’s the number one criteria as a coach, you don’t put players out there who can’t defend themselves. We had a chance up to game time but at warm ups we said, ‘no that’s okay’.”

On Jayden’s mentality going into the locker room after the first half:

“I mean, he knows kind of like everybody was shocked. You get the whole save no dollar 28-0 I told the defense we're gonna go down here and score going to halftime, you know, come out and we're gonna respond, but we did at the end of the day. No, we didn't. We didn't handle adversity well. Just like last week in Utah two weeks ago. Utah is someone you know just as a team, we got to do better as especially as an offense just started getting those guys together and like I said, it is frustrating.”

Arizona State ??????Quarterback Jayden Daniels
On the turnovers in the first half:

“I would say we talked about all week how Washington State was best in the country forcing fumbles and getting after the football. It was very frustrating as it’s something that we have harped on all week. They’re ball hungry and it was frustrating since we put the defense in a bad position, we can’t expect the defense to hold up for four quarters when we keep giving Washington. State the ball. Two of the turnovers are on me and at the end of the day I have got to play better, the offense has to play better, and it wasn’t good football.”

On turning around the season after today:
“We as the players have to look at ourselves with what type of season we want to have, we’re 5-3 right now and we know that the South is out of our control, so we have to hope that some of the other teams lose. The Pac-12 championship is not completely out of reach, but at the end of the day we cannot lose any more games. We’re going to have to take the loss and learn from it and see where we go from here.”
Arizona State Defensive End, Michael Matus

On challenges playing Jayden de Laura:
“I think you know, every time that we'll play Washington State when you we thought that they were going to air raid it quite a bit you know, you we had a five men box and they ran the ball on us you know, we were saying all week that we got to stop the run with a 5 man box. That's people getting off blocks, that's people making plays. You know, unfortunately, we just weren't able to get it done. But you know, at the end of the day players play and so just coach that's on us. For sure. We have the chance to drop off the ruins. Unfortunately, we just didn't make it happen. You know, we want the game on, onto the next.”
??
On how lopsided the past two games have been:
“I think we have beaten ourselves the past two weeks, just the way we have been responding, we’ve responded too well, but I’m confident in this team, I’m confident in this offense and I’m confident in this defense. It’s only two losses and we can come back from it, but we have been beating ourselves and when you give a good team the opportunity and they seized it, they’ll beat anyone.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News