ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball players I'm looking forward to seeing with the new staff

TillmanTunnell

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2019
One of the things I really believe is that certain coaches will connect with certain players and not connect with others. This is magnified in coaching transitions where some coaches thrive and others struggle. I just wanted to throw out a few names of players that I can't wait to see the new staff work with. Keeping in mind that it is almost embarrassing how much baseball knowledge this new staff has.

Seth Nager: He is in the portal so maybe this ship has sailed. But, with Jump headed to Kentucky there is a vacancy in both RF and LF. I want to see what the 6-4 200 pound red shirt sophomore can do. He had TJ surgery his junior season in HS so I think he flew under the radar a little bit but he had a monster senior season. He was rated as the #1 OF prospect in AZ coming out of high school and his pinch running showed off yet another tool. If he can get consistent AB's I think Mueller can help this guy become a real problem for opposing pitchers. He is a potential big lefty bat that could help protect Long

Nate Baez: Early last season the pressure got to Baez. He was our 3 hole hitter going into the year and was supposed to be THE guy. He was eventually benched and there was very little confidence but then bounced back and went on a late season tear. Travis Buck had the same issue in his draft eligible season. He put a lot of pressure on himself and struggled out of the gate only to crush the ball later in the season and become a 1st round draft pick. I think Buck can help Baez' mindset and get him focusing on just doing whatever he can to help the team win. His ability to catch fills a huge need and if Buck can help him relax and put together a season that he is capable of then big things could be ahead for Baez.

Joe Lampe: I love this guy's energy and excitement. He is a lot of fun to watch play. He loves to push the envelop at times though and I think CWB can be a fantastic mentor for him. He has elite speed but was only 6-11 last season stealing bases making me believe that his efficiency didn't match his talent. Utah's leadoff hitter stole 25-29 bases last season including 3-3 against ASU. I don't know if Lampe can get to that level on the bases, but, it can certainly change a game. Willie was never a speed demon, but he was elite at making reads, getting secondary leads, and making the right decisions. If some of that can rub off onto Lampe then this offense just got that much more dynamic.

Pitchers: One of the themes that these CWS teams have are pitchers that develop additional pitches. I don't know how many broadcasts I listened to that said "he was ok last year but developed this "insert pitch here" and it has taken him to the next level." Blake Burzell has got to be the poster child for this conversation. He's been here for 3 years and doesn't have a secondary pitch. One of the things we see elite starters try to do is get through the line up by locating 2 pitches. And then if they start to catch up to it then introduce that 3rd pitch to give them something they hadn't seen yet. In order for that to work you need a 2nd and a 3rd pitch. Alec Marsh did this really well his junior season. He was fast ball dominant but had a solid slider that he used to get a K or a groundball, and then could come back with his curve and change up. Obviously not trying to be critical of JK because we had covid and then he lost his 3 starters and his closer, but we really didn't see pitchers develop last season. I think all of us would like to see our pitching staff develop at a higher level.

Who are you looking forward to seeing the new staff work with?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News